1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burying himself over UTH

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by NewCrab, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewCrab

NewCrab Hi, I'm New Here!

This morning when I woke up I saw that Kermit :D was half buried, but he is right above where the UTH is. I pulled him out and put him at the other end of the tank, and cluttered up the heated end with his stuff hoping he wouldnt try to dig there again. Well within a few minutes he was back there moving everything out of the way, and buried himself there again. So I guess I should just leave him? I was going to move the UTH to the side of the tank today, should I still do that or wait until he's out?
    When/if he is molting, should I still leave food out for him?

2. NewCrab

Also I noticed yesterday that the very tips of some of his legs look chipped off :( Is that normal? He was kept on gravel at the store so maybe thats why....

3. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

WHat store was he bought from?

4. NewCrab

It's a mall kiosk actually, I think it's called Crab Island. It's at Conestoga Mall in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
    I just joined HCA to get some advice on what I can do about the kiosk, but am still waiting for approval. I work at the humane society here so Im going to talk to our cruelty inspector about it too.

5. NewCrab

The kiosk just opened within the past week or so.

6. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I have this problem, or what I thought was a problem.
    I side mount my UTH and my big guy Dozer will find it wherever I put it and will rearrange the tank himself to get to it. (Even though the rest of my tank is at a constant 80 degrees)
    I have posted this on various threads and the consensus says that no crab has ever been cooked and that they know when to move away if they get to warm.
    Crabs very rarely dig straight down either so where he went down may not be where he is right now.
    But if you have it mounted under I would suggest you put it in that same area up on the side of the tank so he isnt laying right on top of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.