1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burying food dishes.

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Smaughunter, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smaughunter

Smaughunter Guest

Tick...evil crab, keeps burying the food dishes. well the fresh dish and the supplement dish anyways. He buries these almost every night. The dry dish though sometimes he kicks sand into..and usually it lookes munched on but he rarely buries it. Does this mean he likes the dry food more or less then the other kinds of food? I feel my other crabs do not really get access to the fresh and supplement dish because he buries them all the time. Do your crabs do this? What measures do you take to prevent it?

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I use one of those small kidney shaped dishes for food (sold in pet stores). Too heavy for the crabs to move, but at times there will be substrate in it when the crabs decide to dig next to the dish or come up next to the dish.

3. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

My crabs don't completely burry the dishes, but they like to dig around them. Its just hermies being hermies :hermzpoo: . There isn't anything you can really do about it...you can try to move the dishes...but, it sounds like they are just having fun :straw:

4. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

If it were me I'd totally be burying the food as more of a "MY FOOD! NO TOUCHY!" But that's may just be me ... :pirate:

5. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Ive had this problem myself a couple of times, best way to remedy (In my opinion anyway) it is to have the feed dish elevated out of the substrate, like on stilts or a platform, with choya or some other such access device

6. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

Nope mine never did that either...sure they get a bit of sand in it....but now I placed a long piece of coral in front of it so they can't drag the sand in it. My food dish is a huge clam shell. :hermiefun2:

7. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

I have heard of this from others about there reptiles. There solution was to put there dishes on a piece of lime stone so they cant dig around them.

8. HermyTimbit

HermyTimbit "Never Molted"

Mine do not bury the food dish, but drag it from one end of the tank to the other. :muahaha: I think they are playing with me... one time it was under the trees andi had to go looking for it. naughty crabs. :kerie:
    Mine too is a huge clam shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.