1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buried & naked

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by BL00DYMARY, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

What should I do? I have a medium-large sized purple pincher crab that has buried himself all the way at the bottom of the substrate so I can see him from under the tank. I noticed three days ago that he is not in his shell, but he is still moving around. I can't tell how far away from him his shell is, it appears to be close enough, but I can't tell where the opening is, if it is filled with EE or clean. My temp & humidity is perfect, and I am using all EE. I am not sure if I should just leave him be & hope for the best or dig him up so I can clean out his shell for him & maybe offewr him a new one. I am afraid digging him up at this point may do more harm than good because it looks like he just molted, but I am worried that he has left his shell for a reason & afraid he won't return to it if it is fill with debris. I may try to dig up only the shell, clean it, and replace it, but I am afraid I will collapse his air hole in the process & disturb him. It has been three days since I noticed, and he is still moving (Looks like he is almost done eating his old exo). If I could not see his bare abdomen through the glass I would have no other indication that he wasn't perfectly fine. What should I do? Has this ever happened to anyone before?

2. BL00DYMARY

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    he is one of my original survivors, had him for almost three years
    Do you know what species they are?
    Purple Pincher

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    Yes

Tank Size:
    40 gallon breeder

Lid Type:
    All glass

Placement of tank in your home:
    Living room, out of direct sunlight

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    Moist Eco Earth 3½-4 inches deep

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    Digital

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?
    yes

Placement of Gauges:
    back wall of tank, near the top, I remove it and test different areas of the tank at times too

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees 76/ 78%

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): 3 in 1 combo light with 2 25 watt moon glows on all the time and a florescent on only in the daytime. The temp in the living room is temp controled at 70

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    see above

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? Have many more that that!

Is there any metal in your tank?
    No none
    What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? Garape wood, cork wood, cholla, volcano, fountain, artificial aquarium plants, reptile vines, mangrove trees..

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? declor tap water

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?
    wardleys

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?
    yes, instant ocean

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    dish for salt, fountain for fresh

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? I have over 30 empties in the tank at all times

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? yes, and I clean them & switch them periodically as well

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?
    Rarely, only if I have agression problems with newbies.

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    yes, but I don't handle often

How often do you handle them?
    This guy- almost never, he's a pincher!

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    No

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? Occasionally, not often

What types of foods do you feed?
    fresh, organic mix of things- no over the counter stuff

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    Cuttlebone and I have coral in the tank as well

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I have heard of this happening, but haven't had any of my crabs do it. I think that if it were me, I'd leave him be. He is surrounded by moist substrate, so he shouldn't get too dry. If he's pretty far along with his exo, hopefully he'll come up soon and return to a shell. I think this is what happened in the other cases I read about.

I did a search for the old posts, but it was so long ago I'm not sure how exactly the poster described it. If I stumble on them later I'll post a link to it.

4. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Happy, my big pp, leaves his shell to molt. The first time he did that, I panicked. Now, I just leave him be. He leaves, molts, eats his exo, hangs around naked for a day or so, then hops back in his shell. Just keep him quiet and where others won't bother him and let nature take its course.

5. BL00DYMARY

Thankyou both so much for replying. My gut was telling me to leave him, but I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing. I'd hate it if he went from perfectly healthy to dying if there was something I could have done to prevent it. I will leave him be & hope for the best. He is surrounded by moist substrate, and he only has a small peice of exo left. He's molted many times before and I never saw him do this, but he is pretty big now so maybe his shell is more confining than it was in the past.

6. BL00DYMARY

I took a couple of pictures of my naked molter. I though you might want to see:

7. BL00DYMARY

O.Kay. Let's try this again:
    [​IMG]

8. BL00DYMARY

9. BL00DYMARY

10. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Well, it looks like his molt went great! It is a little scary to see them naked, but from what I've heard, this is the least worrisome "naked crab" situation. Still, I hope mine continue to stay dessed to molt!

11. BL00DYMARY

It's actually kind of cool now that I am less worried about him & he cleaned up the area a bit so I can see his shell. When I got this crab he was in a little painted shark-eye shell. And that shell he is in (or next to) now seemed so big when I put it into the tank. I really put it in more for decoration because it was so pretty, but I thought it was way to big for any of my crabs to wear. *sniff* they grow up so fast..

12. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

One of my smaller straws came up from a molt naked! I could see her digging up from the side without her shell. I put 3 shells at the surface so that when she came up- so that she could hop right into one (which she did) [​IMG]
    I found her old shell underground quite a distance from where she came out. I guess maybe she decided to molt naked and lost track of her shell along the way??? It was very odd.
    At least it makes me feel better to know that she isn't alone in her molting preferences....
    [​IMG]

13. BL00DYMARY

Just an update, Ice Cream has returned to his shell! He still hasn't come up for air, but he's no longer naked.

14. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

that's cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.