1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buried crab

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Donna M, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

My mom said they were charging like $12 or $13, so I'm inclined to believe that they are an exotic species. If they are charging that much for PPs, they are out of their mind!:eek:

2. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I thought mine were e's, but now I'm thinking rugs. However, when mine are out, they're nuts! It's just "when" they're actually out.

3. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

So I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with chronically buried crabs! I'm glad I'm not alone but on the other hand, I'm sorry some of you are in the same boat I am. I'm hesitant to get a third crab, because if it buries itself for months, I'm going to flip!

I'd like to get an Equadorian, but not sure if I'd be able to identify one if I went to PetSmart or Petco. Can they all be identified by bumpy/pimply-looking legs and claws?

Shorty has been buried and has not moved a single muscle for several weeks now. I want to change the substrate, but if he's molting, I can't, right? He's GOT to be molting, because he is the more active of the two that I have. He's half buried in substrate in a hut. I pick up the hut ever so slightly every day just to peek and make sure there's no odor.

When Buddy comes up once a month, if I gently pick him up and let him walk on my hands and such, he's hyper at first (antennae going wild!), then seems to calm down after awhile. Then I put him back in his tank and he runs under the hut and hides for days, as if he's been traumatized! It makes me feel bad.

Thanks for your support!
    Donna M

4. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Ecuadorians are fairly easy to spot. PPs are a dead give-away with their purple pinchers. Straws (only in Petco) are even easier to spot as they are just vibrant red in color. Small Es are very different in color compared to other species. The Es I have are tiny on the crab chart and they're a pale blue color. It's really nice looking. Just identify them by color. They also tend to have a darker color on the tips of their leg, compared to the upper part of their leg/body.
    Here's a site, if you haven't seen it before, that will help you identify species. It's very useful.
    Species Introduction
    By the way: I suggest you get tiny-small Es. They're super cute and their blue color is just so unique. They often have reddish brown eyes too. (Mine do anyway)

5. krackersmom2

I want E's so badly, but I have yet to find any in my city. I go to San Antonio sometimes and maybe I can find some up there.

6. Donna M

I went to that site to help me identify crab species, and they have incredible photos! But I must be a bit slow, because I'm still not sure which ones are the E's. If I go to PetSmart (I'm in Maryland), do I just look for crabs with darker tips on their legs? I assume all E's are not blue?

I was just hoping to get a crab that's a bit livlier and friendlier, while the other two remain buried.

Thanks!

Donna M.

7. krackersmom2

E's also don't seem to have the large BP like the PPs do. I've never found E's at Petsmart. Has anyone else?

8. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Petsmart don't carry Es. Best shot is a ma & pop. As for BPs... I'm not entirely sure. You can tell a PP from an E extremely easy anyway. PPs get their name from a purple pincher after all and Es don't carry that trait.

9. Donna M

My crabs both have red legs and pinchers, so I guess they're Straws? One of them was purchased at PetSmart. (The other was given to me). I should've asked the clerk at the store to see if she knew the species.

Thanks.

10. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Is it a maroon red or a vibrant bright red? Maroon/blood red are usually PPs. Straws have a more radiant red coloring and they're speckled with white. Straws are probably the easiest to differentiate.
    I don't think petsmart carries straws, Petco does though (although not latelty). The one your friend gave might be a straw, if he/she got it from somewhere else.

11. Donna M

They're a darkish red, but I don't think I would call it maroon. And they don't have any white spots, but I did see small hairs on Buddy's claws tonight, that I didn't know he had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.