1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buried crab

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Donna M, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I don't keep my sand "sand castle" consistant. I spray once in a while, but they have never had trouble. They are always up and down...

2. Chris30507

Chris30507 "Never Molted"

I NEVER have my crans bury in my sand... I am gonna bet it is too dry.
    Well I'd guarantee it.
    First I got it,... then washed it,.. then baked it in the oven to dry it out.
    Then put it in the tank after it cooled.
    So I'm guessing my sand is totally dry.
    Have no CLUE how to make the sand the right moisuture (let alone keep it that way) now that it is in the tank.

They do bury in my EE. A couple seem to like that.. ONE burys himself to the bottom... the other two just about the thickness of themselves... SO I can soo about the top 1/3 of their shells all the time

3. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Pour some water on top of your sand and wet it all. It's that simple.

4. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

to keep your sand wet enough just pour in like 2 cups of dechlor water. then stir it up a bit and if it doesnt feel wet or if u dig a little hole with your finger and it collapses on itself it needs to be wetter. just keep adding water a cup at a time and u should get it just rite. then to keep it that way keep you humidity about 80% and mist the tank once a week, very well.

5. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Okay, now Buddy has been buried for over 6 months now. This is crazy. I know these creatures are nocturnal, but I go to bed very late and only see him up and around about once per month. I never see him near a food or water dish. What kind of life is this for any living creature? There's no climbing, no playing, no socializing, no eating. Just stillness. He changes spots under the substrate, but that's about it. Just sleeps and sleeps and sleeps. For 6 months??? I don't think any creature could be happy with this kind of life.

As I said in my original post above, I bought him a friend, thinking he was just bored and lonely. He could care less about his new roommate (Shorty). Though once or twice I have caught Buddy rocking his roommate's shell. So I bought a new assortment of shells, and they've been sitting in the tank for months.

Shorty buried himself shortly after being brought home, though I do see him at the food dish occasionally. He'll wake up every now and then and just scrape his pointy legs across the bottom of the acrylic tank for 15 minutes or so, while staying in the exact same spot. Just scratching and scratching and scratching. I don't get it.

So now I have a tank full of substrate to stare at. Can't see the crabs. I know, you guys have told me that some crabs just like to stay buried, but for their entire lives? If they do this in nature, what's the point of their existence?

Am I doing something wrong? They have heat, humidity, I always give them different foods to try. I am so discouraged I am ready to give up this crabby hobby.

Any advice?

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

You sound frustrated...I feel the same way sometimes. I get the tank all fixed up nice and nothing. Some people say as the crabs get really well settled in, they will come out more. When they do come up, handle them a little and let them get some exercise outside the tank.
    As for the substrate staying moist, I use a small spray bottle of dechlorinated water and do a spray and stir routine. Spray the surface and turn it under. Moist sand will help your crabs dig molting caves that will hold up for them.
    Hang in there;)

7. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

What kind of hood are you guys using to keep your humidity consistent?
    I'm using an aquarium hood and when my sand is fully wet (not just some parts), I find it really hard to keep humidity stable. I often have to lift up my hood partially, then put it back down. It's really frustrating, I'm gonna look into trying to get a better top for my tank.
    The only time I can get my tank to a stable 80 is when the upper layer of the sand isn't wet.

8. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

I sympathize, Donna. I'm new to crabbing too and most of my original 6 crabs have disappeared into the substrate. I bought 3 large crabs to keep me company while those 6 do their thing. Even those 3 are pretty mellow and stay hidden much of the time. I was feeling a bit like you but in the past week two or three of my little guys have come up from molt and are starting to be active again and all three of my big guys were active and entertaining last night. It really cheered me up to see my crabs climbing and checking out shells and just having a good ol' crabby time. I even got to see one of my larges switch shells- a first. She has a huuuugggggeeee abdomen- very cool. I have noticed that if I make changes to the tank- move around the climbing toys, add or move around shells, and shift the food and water bowls that my crabs spend more time checking things out and moving around. Keep at it! Hopefully your crabs will become less shy eventually.

9. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I too am getting frustrated with my crabs. I have 8 smalls in my little tank, and I only ever see 2. Like whats the point? I went and spent all this money to make an awesome aquarium for nothing. I don't want to give them up, but it is very frustrating. I've never had crabs do this and its quite annoying.

10. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Here's the solution to inactivity!
    Get Es :p

11. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

In SeptemberI got 15 tiny to small E's and put them in their own tank, along with two tiny PPs. I see the PPs often. But out of the 15 E, there are never more than 5 up at the same time.

In my big tank I have 3 medium small Es who are usually around. But of the 12 PPs, all large small to small medium, only between 4 to 6 are usually up. A few are molting, but the others? I don't know. Some of them will come up for a few days, hang out and disappear again.

very frustrating

12. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I find my Es to be the most active. They're up day and night while my PPs are up mainly at night... Sometimes, I wish I had like a hundred crabs in one tank. That way, I'll always have at least a dozen crabs up. Haha...

Putting in sweet treats like apples and/or watermelons tend to make them all come out from hiding though. Have you tried luring them out with some fruit?

13. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

my one E, Spaz is the only crab i see out on a regular basis. from there I see a few here and there...

14. Chris30507

Chris30507 "Never Molted"

NOW... I'm gonna be the first to say ... I'm NO EXPERT
    In fact the crabs I bought the other day was the FIRST ones I EVER bought, and I had NO CLUE what kind I was buying...
    I found out later I bought E's...

But I WILL pass along what I did when I picked my hermies,.. and maybe some of you can use it in the future..??
    It took me probably between 45 minutes and an hour to pick out 3 crabs. Sounds kinda long you say... yeah... but I got real active crabs too. AND thats what I was looking for when I picked them out.
    What I did was this.

I picked up some the size I wanted... Sales lady told me if you sat them in the water dish it kinda 'forced' them to come out... some of them did come out and some of them didn't.
    If they DIDN'T come out at all I scratched them off the list of potential options.
    If they DID come out,... but sucked right back in when I went to pick them up... I scratched them off too..

IF THEY STAYED OUT and wasn't so shy when I picked them up, and didn't act all scared ... I counted those as keepers. I don't know if this makes any sense or not. But so far they come out a lot,... don't bury themselves much, and I see them out all the time,.. climbing stuff I put in there, exploring the tank,.. being adverturous, etc.
    just my VERY onofficial experiences

15. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I do the same thing in terms of hermit crab picking. Except I don't put them in water. I just pick them up and see if they'll come out naturally. I don't find it "natural" for them to be forced to come out when there's water underneath them. I think it forces the crab to come out and run because if not, he'll drown/suffocate if he decides to just hide in his shell while his shell opening is submerged. By the way, this method will ensure healthy/active crabs. (More active than the ones that just hide in their shells after spotting someone walk by or anything of that nature)

16. krackersmom2

When I am picking out crabs, I put them in my hand and see how long it takes them to come out. If they are active, they will come out without being submerged. Still though, I think the she ones just need to be taken home and given a chance:eek:. They deserve just as good a life as the active ones. I have a mix of extremely shy and very active crabs. Makes things interesting. It's also a huge celebration when one of my shy crabs emerges and does something unexpected.

17. Donna M

Thank you all for your replies. You have offered some very good suggestions and things for me to consider. Things I had not thought about.

As if he knew we were talking about him, Buddy (the crab buried for 6 months) came up today for his once-per-month visit to the world. I even got to see him drink a few clawfuls of water! I've never seen that, and it was amazing. Then he went back to a corner. It was nice while it lasted.

Shorty hasn't moved an inch in a week, but there's no fishy smell so I guess he's molting. I'm a bit nervous about it. I'm dying to pick him up to see if he's okay, but I shall refrain. You guys on this site taught me well!

Thanks for all your help,
    Donna M.

18. Donna M

And yes, Yadokari, I have tried luring them out with fruit. I even purchased select pieces from a salad bar one day so they could have an assortment. I tried different pieces on different days, but these 2 crabs I have don't seem real interested in food. It doesn't draw them out at all. Most of the food I put out every night I have to throw away the next day. That's another reason why raising buried crabs seems like such a crazy hobby! LOL!

Thanks for the suggestion......

Donna M

19. krackersmom2

When I added some new stuff last week, some of my crabs came out to check out the new things. A couple even managed to find their way up to the shelf!:D I'd love to get some E's. My son went to the local flea market last week and there's a lady with a "pet shop" there. My mom said it was pretty gross and they had crabs...my son said they didn't look like PP's possibly rugs. I would like to go see, but I'm afraid I wil flip out about the conditions, plus they might be mite infested if they are not being kept in a sanitary place. :mad:

20. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Donna M: Aw, that stinks. I can usually grab a couple of my crabs out when I leave an apple or watermelon out. They love that stuff, especially applies. They drag it into their hermit hut and throw little parties in it by attracting even more crabs. I'm not really sure if there's anything else I can suggest. I have crabs that I almost never see outside of their hiding spot. I'm guessing this is just their individual personality, rather than anything else. You could just get more crabs if you have room in your tank :p hopefully getting some outgoing ones.

Krackersmom2: Flea market stuff is usually not really good quality. At least, not here in the Bay Area CA. However, they usually have pretty unique stuff there that's worth looking at. I suggest you check out that shop at the flea market :) you'll want more crabs for that 30G for sure and new species of crabs would be great! Just make sure you inspect the crabs extremely carefully if you decide on buying it though. Bring a magnifying glass to check for mites too :p haha
    (By the way, you're extremely lucky. Cheap tank + wide selection of hermit crabs. I envy you!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.