1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a "ocean"

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by crabbbychris, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbbychris

crabbbychris (Micro Crab)

OK I got a couple questions... so don't everyone check out on me after getting started reading this...
    I had another thread,,. go no responses to my question itself..
    OK here I go..
    I'm thinking about adding an "ocean"...
    Let me see if I can explain my idea
    I am considering taking a piece of class about 3-1/2 inches tall and some aquarium sealer. Lay the glass in sideways the entire width of the tank (from front to back... standing the piece of glass on it's edge) glue it all in on the bottom with the seal so it won't leak and will hold water. Then take some gravel like in the bottom of a fish aquarium and slope it down (like a beach slopes into the sea)
    Start on the front (for example) and slope it toward the back SO in the front it would be 3-1/2 inches of gravel even with the substrate (they'd kind transfer over one area into the other without knowing it,.. substrate would be as high as gravel on other side of gravel...

Anyway have about three inches where gravel run level toward back of tank,.. then start sloping downward gently until it ran out to nothing about an inch or two from the rear of the tank.
    That way the crabbies could get into the water if they wanted,.. play and splash around all they wanted to...

Now I'm trying to decide... Obviously I don't want to go to all the hassle of having to clean and drain this little 'pond' every few days,.. and I know the water needs to stay fresh...
    SO I'm wondering if I do it as salt water if it'll stay "fresh" longer.... or should I do it as fresh water and just get me a set up like a fish aquerium and filter it.
    Obviously I am area the water will need to be filtered... checked on a deal at a pet store today. I can get a filter that'll work for not much over $10. SHould keep the water all clean and everything filtered out of it.
    NOW what is everyones opinion on if I should do FREASH or SALT water. and WHY. (yeah it's easy to jump in and have an opinion... lets hear you say why that opinion is a good one). I'm looking at doing what may be the best for the little critters...

SECOND... I have a 10 gallon tank , and also a 30 gallon tank ... how many little hermies do you think these two can support and they all be comfortable. They can travel back and forth from one to the other.

2. lolagranola

lolagranola Hi, I'm New Here!

Whats your species breakdown? If you've got mostly PP's I would make it a fresh water pond. If you've got exotics, especially straws or were hoping to get your females to lay eggs, I would go with salt.

3. crabbbychris

hhuumm.. Ya know.. I'll have to check..
    The last 5 or 6 I have bought I have went to the store and looked the one just 'busting' out of the shells... poor little guys needed someone to take them home and give the larger shells.
    Didn't really check to see what kind they were
    I'll do some checking and get back with you...

OH let me ask this. Whats the difference between Strawberries and PP's. I had someone tell me they were the same thing and different folks just called them by different names... But I see you used them both in the listing, so now I'm curious again.
    I know the biggest one I have has these big 'hairy' looking legs... lol

Heck the way I got my little "crab world" built I could put another tank under the ones I have, and and have one in each one... lol

4. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

To anwer your question Srawberrys are a Bright red with little tin yellow dots on their legs
    and A pp. has a Purple claw and Can have orange to dark brown legs

5. crabbbychris

ok...thanks

6. lolagranola

Here's a couple of photos to show the difference.

This is a Straw
    [​IMG]

This is a PP
    [​IMG]

Straws need slightly different care than PPs including a salt water pool deep enough to totally submerge in.

7. crabbbychris

Are Straws the ONLY one that need that...
    NOt sure I have any of those..?? hhuumm
    I'm guessing I have mostly PP and E's

I got all the stuff to build my little "ocean" today...
    Think I can get it all done today or tomorrow..??

8. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Am I missing something? I thought most hermit crabs were terrified of going into water?? I have a salt water bowl that has one end deep enough for them to allow water to flow into their shells, but I NEVER see any of my crabs actually inside the bowl.

Thanks,

Donna M.

9. crabbbychris

I checked out all my hermies...
    looks like I got 6 PP for sure... got a couple something else ???.
    their claws look almost beige or a pink color.. . Maybe E's
    Got no strawberries for sure.

I got everything almost set up. Glass glued in, filter set up, etc... Gotta check for leaks... then it'll be all set. Still haven't decided on salt water or fresh water yet. Which ever one I do it'll be their "source" for that type of water they need.

10. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Okay...first of all, gravel is a no,no as substrate for land hermit crabs. Use sand if you are going to do an "ocean".

11. lolagranola

One thing that isn't clear, are you planning on separating the substrate from the water with a sloping floor or are you trying to set it up like a fiddler tank?

12. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

The way I was reading it was like the plexi glass was going to become the floor and be positioned to slope and the substrate would go on top of that.

13. crabbbychris

the design is as such...
    if you just take the tank (lets say it's empty)... then I take a piece of glass as a devider to devide the tank in 1/2 (lets say I put it in the middle and split it 50/50 from front to back
    Same principle here only the devider is just 3" tall (same height as substrate) and is moved over to where it won't take up about 20% of the bottom of the tank.
    20% pond, and 80% substrate is now how the tank bottom is devided.
    SO then I put the gravel and stack it 3" deep in the front of the tank and slope it back (just stacked up on itself) until it runs out to nothing almost at the rear.

Now I'm not sure why gravel is any different than sand....?? please explain. Obviously the crabs can not dig down into the sand or anything. The water is in the little pond and is almost 3" high (total height of the glass).. the "water table" of the sand is ALSO the same height of the water... so they can't dig down or they'll hit water. Just like you would do at an ocean and gud a hole right next to the water. If you dig far you will be at the water table and the hole you dig will have water in it. Same principle.
    I picked the gravel specifially to discourage the crabs from wanting to dig because I knew they shouldn't, and I also don't plan on running the water filter 24/7. When it is on it'll pull the water level down 1/2" or so... but when I turn it off the water runs OUT of the filter and fills to the maximum height on the pool. SO if a crab dug down and I didn't know it, and then I unplugged it, it's possible he could drown..??

OH.. This filter I have filters 10 gallon per hour, and I only have at most one gallon in the whole tank.. so it needs to run very little to keep the water clean. I ususally run it the 12 hours I have the lights on,.. and it is off the 12 hours the lights are off.

Thanks for the discussion so far...
    All invited... Still haven't decided on fresh or salt water... nt sure which I want to do. Like I said before. This 'pond' Will be the water source for which ever one I choose. SO If I do a fresh water pond, then there will be no fresh water bottle in the tank,.. they'll get their drinking water here.... same if I decide to do salt water.
    I did set up a trial run and left it a couple days... they seems to love it.. several went in and were playing.. a couple even went and totally dunked themselves,.. stayed a while and climbed back out.
    It had a leak,.. so I have it disabled right now until I can redo it and reinstall it.

14. lolagranola

Okay, still needing some clarification I think.

What I *think* you are saying is that you want to divide the ocean and put gravel in the ocean side and that's where the water is, the other side is a normal crabitat.

What I'm concerned you are saying is that the regular side of your crabitat will be saturated with water from the pond so that when you dig the water will well up.

I'm hoping you are saying that you want to discourage your crabs from digging in the ocean but it sounds like you want to discourage them from digging at all (and I don't think that's what you meant).

A totally saturated substrate is what a fiddler setup is and that's why I asked but it doesnt work for LHC because crabs must dig down to molt.

15. crabbbychris

you're right lolagranola...
    the only area that will be saturated will be where the gravel is. The rest will be a normal habitat. Basically the glass piece will be used to separate the pool from the crabitat. It's only 3' high so I can have substrate that high on one side and gravel on the other... that way they'll walk over the glass edge without 'knowing" it and just move into the pool area.

You are also right.. I just want to discourage them from digging in the gravel area. I do have some sand, so I may mix it with the gravel to make it a bit more natural and fill in the gaps between the gravel. Could make the hermies think the area is more 'natural' to them

16. lolagranola

Glad to hear it!

17. crabbbychris

I'm gonna try and post a pic here right away... that way everyone will have some idea about what I am doing...
    I'm not very good at 'splainin stuff... lol

18. crabbbychris

OK..
    Here's a pic of my two story crabitat...
    Upstairs I use to feed them and they get their salt water (in the bottle)
    Downstairs you can see the cargo net and some plants on the back wall.
    If you look on the far right you'll see the cargo net where the crabbies go from the top level to the bottom.
    At the left of the bottom level is where I am building the "pond"
    You can see I have the glass divider glued in and I have to wait 48 hours for it to dry. Then I'll add my gravel/sand mixture and the water and fixture. This will be their fresh water supply. The filter will keep me from having to keep changing out the water every few days and keep it fresh and clean.
    I'll also have a place downstairs to put some calci-sand just so they can get some if they want it.

I suppose the last thing I'll add is some bird seed... I saw on another thread where it will grow live in a tank and the crabbies love it... so I think I'll add some here.

I'm curious how many crabbies a deal this big could support and not be too crowded.. The bottom tank is 12" x 30" (30 gallon tank only not as tall) and the top tank is a 10 gallon tank.
    SO what do you all think... any suggestions or advice??

Attached Files:

19. momof2hermi_bashfull

momof2hermi_bashfull "First Molt In Progress"

Looks really cool, I would be too afraid of my crabbies going from 1 tank, to the other because of escapes. Is this working out for you and they aren't escaping? That is something I would be really concerned about, but it does look cool and very unique.

20. lolagranola

My first suggestion is to pull those crabs out of there. If you are using aquarium silicone it does give off fumes until it is dry.

Additionally, the humidity in the tank will keep it from curing within the time that it gives you on the directions. Silicone is meant to be used on an empty tank not an inhabited one. Plus you will need to test the seal and if the seal fails it will take you much longer to realize that if your tank has substrate in it.

I would also add some hiding items, cocohuts, caves.

I think as far as numbers I would probably (for myself) put the max at around 15 medium size crabs or the equivalent mixture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.