1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bugs!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Laughs O Lot, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I saw like a billion bugs in my hermit crab tank!!! :eek: I dug up Sherbert and Lou-Lou and put them in the new tank with sand and stuff, but Crusty is molting!! What should I do? I saw a tiny worm like thing right by him! Oh my gosh I'm so scared! I saw him move, which is good. I think he's eating the exo. Should I dig him up? I'm going to boil everything. Please help!

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

worm thing???
    I would ask a MOD.
    in my opinon,leave him be if not done molting. otherwis, that worm thing might eat him alive if hes pink.....??? Good luck.
    hey what type of subtrate are you using?

3. Laughs O Lot

I'm using eco earth. I don't see the worm thing anymore. Most of the bugs went away after I took everything out. I think they came because stupid me decided to leave the same food in the food dish because everybody was digging, so there was no point in feeding them. I should have at least cleaned it out, though.

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Was it fresh food? could it be plain old flys maggots?

5. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Take all the crabs and give them baths so they won't infect anything or anyone. Once Crusty done molting give him a bath.

6. Laughs O Lot

I gave Sherbert and Lou-Lou baths but i'm not sure if it was lon enough. Is two mintues okay? I think the food was peanut butter, baby food, and some kind of veggie. I have no idea what kind of bugs they were. They were all small, and most could fly. Fleas, maybe?

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

calm down :)- if they fly they they could be nats or fruit flies- not to worry. Of course you want to get rid of them but try not to disturb the molter but work around him. Fleas jump they dont fly.

8. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Fleas don't make worms that you can see tho. I don't think fruit flies do either, do they?

9. Laughs O Lot

Not all flew. Some just crawled in the EE. But maybe they were the same ones that flew but I didn't realize? Are mites ever gray? Most of them went away but some are still in the tank. Crusty seems to be doing good. :) I can see him moving his legs around. I can't tell if he ate at all, though.
    I boiled/ soaked the stuff and put it in the 20gallon. I put some sand, so now I just need to put in some new EE. Sherbert and Lou-Lou are having a lot of fun climbing and exploring. :) One good thing came out of the bugs: it gave me a push to start setting up my new tat. But one thing I boiled (Crabworx Hotel) is painted and it started to chip. :( Is there any way I could stop the chipping and still use it? It was a birthday present.

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

booklice are most likely the non flying ones- they love my tank and are in it all the time. BUt they love EE so since that is what you have dont be surprised- I hate all bugs except lady bugs and butterflies :)

11. Laughs O Lot

Those bugs did look like booklice. When Crusty comes up, how long do I wait before I give him a bath to check for bugs?

12. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I'm not sure, but I think about until his color is fully back.

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

if they are not mites then dont stress the crabs!!

14. Laughs O Lot

Now everybody is in the 20gallon. All the bugs disappeared. So you could close the thread if you want to.
    Thanks everybody for your help! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.