1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug Spray! NOOOO!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Hunterzmommy, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunterzmommy

Hunterzmommy Hi, I'm New Here!

I freaked out today when I saw my daughter's bedroom window and the adjacent wall crawling with a million ants. I grabbed a can of ant/spider spray and blasted them, and the carpet, and the wall.... and then realized I had sprayed all over her PPs crabitat.

I didn't know what to do! I know it can't be good for them...did I just kill them? They were under the sand, but they surfaced very quickly and they don't look so very good.

I feel terrible. Although they're not dead (yet) I think they're really suffering.

Is there a way to euthanize crabs so they can pass quickly? I cannot believe I did this. I'm just sick about it.

Stupid ants. Stupid me.

2. nu_butnotso_nu

nu_butnotso_nu "Never Molted"

Your right, the bug spray is definitly not good for the hermies, but I would not recommend trying to euthanize them.

The best thing that you can do since they are all dug up is to remove the tank from that location, clean it well (no soap), add new substrate, clean tank items and bath hermies in sea salt solution.

There is a possibility that one might make it through, so let nature take its course and dont try to euthanize. Hermit crabs are strong little creatures, and we can hope and pray for the best.

There are others on this site that might know more about this situation and can add to what I've said, but I hope this was helpful. Please keep us updated.

3. Lukems

Lukems "First Molt In Progress"

nu butnotso nu is rigt, Keep us posted!:(

4. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

*hugs* Don't beat yourself up over this. It was an honest mistake. We have all made them! Unfortunately, they may not make it--but, as stated above, they can really surprise you at how strong they can be! Follow the above advice and hope for the best. Let us know what happens...

5. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Very sorry and I know that almost all of us have done something dumb to our crabs. Actually, in my case, more than one.

If you haven't done it already, I would concur with dumping out all the substrate and wash it with a mild mix of vinegar and water and if you can, rinse it outside with the hose, if it has enough power to really rinse.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I would agree with giving them a salt bath and remove them from the room completely. I would just replace the substrate. My son likes to use spray cologne and aerosol Axe spray. I always insist that he use it in another room, away from the crabs. I hope your group pulls through:eek:.
    it was an honest mistake. The bug spray may have just made them ill and may not kill them. I would say the first 24 to 48 hours will be crucial in deciding their fate. Keep us posted! This could be good information for someone who gets in a similar predicament in the future.

7. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

How are they doing??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.