1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brita for Well Water

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Klabelle, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Is a brita enough for well water?
    The water where I'm staying is kinda hard so we have a brita to filter out the minerals.
    Is it alright to bathe my crabs in them?
    It's bath day and I wanna be sure they'll be alright.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Caution! I dont think a brita filters out chlorine!!! You need to get a water conditioner (API) or 2 gal. of drinking water (for fresh and salt water) from the store.
    As far as bathing that is your choice but I have had my buddy's for 3 1/2 yrs and have only bathed them once... When I got them. They can bath themselves when they need to.

3. Klabelle

I'm bathing them to check for bugs more or less, plus it get's my ones that seem to not like bathing themselves to do so.
    I have chlorine remover that I've been putting in...but I don't think the well has chlorine in it?

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If you buy water from the store make sure it is the Distilled Water. Also you are correct about well water having no chlorine in it. :flower:

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

drinking water in the gallons also has no chlorine. I use it for my fish tank 1/2 drinking water 1/2 declorinated tap water. Cause my tap water ph is way to high. Clorine is real deadly to fish and I've been using it for a year now. (its what the fish store told me to use).
    Have you ever tasted distilled water .....YUK!!!

6. Mckenny

:chuckle:

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

{I'm bathing them to check for bugs more or less, plus it get's my ones that seem to not like bathing themselves to do so}

just courious as to why you think they are not bathing themselves? The water dish not have any e.e. or sand in it? It is in their nature to bathe, soak, even submerge in water unless they are sick or stressed.
    I'm the same way to, I have only bathed my crabs when I first brought the last couple home, before I didn't know about iso and bathing and checking for bugs. I also only bathe when I have a molter surface because I have a bully crab that wants to eat his friend unless I get him smelling like everyone else.

8. Klabelle

Well, one lives in a choya log and doesn't come out, the tank bugs has them all sluggish so they haven't been moving around. Only my big crab is still romping around the tank.
    I get a lot of bugs for some strange reason so they get bathed every month or so because I haven't found the source

9. Mckenny

Hi Katz...what kind of bugs do you have and how long has it been between deep cleans? :flower:

10. Klabelle

2-3 weeks on the cleaning, brand new tank.
    The bugs seem to appear after a month or so even if I bathe them thoroughly.
    They're the annoying white kind that I think eat mold and food...

I posted pics here: XX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.