1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand New to Crabs and this Forum!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by daddybo, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddybo

daddybo Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello to All!

I am brand new to this entire thing and I'm still learning how to do pretty much everything from feeding the right foods to creating the ideal crabitat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D My 9 year old son saw a tank full of hermies at a local flea market and I broke down and bought him one. Little did I know that I would be the one to fall in love with them.

It wasn't but 2 days after bringing "Brutus" home that I went out and purchased "Woody" and "Sandy"! They are great pets, but Sandy VERY shy and I have yet to have either Brutus or Sandy "play" on my hand. Woody is very active, alert, and playful. The other 2, not so much. Should I handle them more or what?

I haven't had any molters, should that worry me? Woody and Brutus are both medium crabs, while Sandy is small. Also, I have several shells in their crabitat but no one is changing...should THIS worry me?

HELP! I don't want my hermies to die...am I just being too worrisome? Thanks and can't wait to start learning!

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

LOL you are being very worriesome BUT we all have been and still are - its OK!! Read the stickies that the forum has- chock full of important stuff from handling new crabs to what the nasty buggies look like if they should have them.

A medium crab is in between a golf n tennis ball- small is golfball or less- larger the crab the less often they molt.........make sure your shells are the right size- you can measure the BP across and add a 1/4 inch to give them the next size up option- many people just put the wrong shells in the tank too. Turbos are generally accepted with PP's.........go to naples sea shells site to learn the types of shells

3. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

I have been there too and found that research and even more research helps. Hit the internet. I found so much information. Stay on this site. Even if you don't post a question, someone will or you could search past posts. Good luck! About the food, go to vickums store hermitcrabaddictionstore.com. You can't go wrong with anything from there. Just remember variety and they don't eat much at all. They will molt and change shells when they are comftorable.

4. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

One of the things I do with the food is go to my local farmer's market during the summer/fall time. That might not be an option for you but I am down south and they sell a lot of coconut and cactus and tomatoes. The crabs seem to love that. :D
    Of course I can't afford to do that for them all the time so I also get them the freeze dried baby shrimp. Mine love that. I've also heard of blood worms or whatever they are called, but I haven't had much luck with that and those stink worse than the shrimp, lol!!

5. matthew300ex

matthew300ex Hi, I'm New Here!

i also have a hermit crab named sandy and he is also shy. i wonder if it is the name sandy. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.