1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottled Water Advice

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Klabelle, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I just recently learned today that where I live has a chemical in the water that I cannot remove and is killer to fish, so based off that, I am concerned for my crabs since many of my fish have died in the past month.

I'd like to use bottled water but before I do that, I was wondering if I could use what I have.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Drinking-Water-1-gal/10315383

The bottle itself says:

Bottled By: Nature's Way Purewater Systems Inc.

Source: PA-American Watres

Processed By: Carbon Filtration, Reverse Osmosis, Ultraviolet Light, Micron Filtration, Ozonation

it doesn't say anything about minerals and neither did the distilled bottle, I just wanna make sure it's safe for my babies.

Here's the info of how the water is processed here if that helps:

How is the water treated? Lake Auburn has exceptional water quality which minimizes the amount of treatment that is required. Since the lake is of superior quality, the Water District was granted and continues to maintain a waiver from the filtration requirement of the Surface Water Treatment Rule. Lake Auburn is one of 11 surface water sources in Maine that is not required to filter the water This allows us to further protect the watershed by dedicating resources to land acquisition, forestry management, education, and upgrading storage and piping systems while keeping the cost of your water as low as possible.

The Water District does treat the water to ensure its safety. The first treatment step is disinfection by carefully adding measured doses of chlorine to the water to inactivate any pathogens (organisms that might cause disease) that may be present in the water. Fluoride is added to reduce cavities and a blended phosphate is added to minimize lead corrosion in residential plumbing. The acidity of the water is also adjusted using sodium hydroxide to minimize corrosion of copper plumbing.

The disinfection process goes one step further by adding chloramines before the first customer which protects the water while it is in the water pipes leading to our Auburn homes and businesses. Chloramines are made by combining chlorine and ammonia in water. Chloramination began in December of 2003 as a result of stricter EPA standards reducing the amount of disinfection by-products allowed in drinking water. Disinfection by-products form when chlorine reacts with organics in the water. As a result, AWD meets the requirements of the new lower standards and is able to reduce the amount of chlorine added to the water.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Thbut it'sat water is fine to use. I use to put it in my fish tank 50% bottled drinking and 50% dec. tap water . The only thing is that the bottled water also has all the benaficial bacteria removed from it. But its better than poison water. You do use declorinated water dont you?

3. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Of course but the dechlorinator can't take the floride and ammonia out of the water

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.