1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Both Ariel and Sebastion have dug under.

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by SkyBaby, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Sebastion was really active like Ariel was just an hour or so before digging down. I haven't seen Ariel since yesterday morning. I've been checking every night at around midnight to see if Ariel comes up. No sign of her since she went down. Sebastion just went down an hour ago. I'm going to be looking if he digs up tonight. I just gave him some boiled egg, carrot, corn, and pea and ground cuttle bone mash last night. I guess we'll see what happens now! Only thing is I hope he's not trying to find Ariel because he got on the other side of the divider i put in there. If he just ate some of that egg mash stuff will he still be wanting to eat ariel?

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Crabs dig all over before they molt, usually. I had one guy who ended up molting in the back middle of my tank, but I thought he was in the one front corner. They will tunnel until they find where they want to go, so Ariel may have moved as well. If he did get some protein and calcium before digging down, there's a good chance he'll leave her alone; besides, she may not even be molting yet.

The thing you need to learn from this, though, is when you divide the tank you need to divide it from tank bottom (glass) to the lid, because crabs (even bigger ones) can climb the aquarium sealant in the corners and walk over to the other side of the tank (on the lid/lip inside the aquarium) and drop down to get to the crab on the other side.

3. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Ohh that's really interesting. I'm curious to see where they're going to come up now. They both went down in the front right corner.

I have a divider, but it's got holes in it. It's designed to be an aquarium divider and holes allow for water circulation. Since I don't have a good lid, I didn't want to put that divider in incase one or both decided to climb out. I'll get one of those locking lids and have the divider set up for next time so I know for sure. Thanks for letting me know!

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

no, if he ate some he shouldn't bother her. If he didn't, chances probably are he is satisfied with the amount of calcium and protein he has and won't bother her anyway =]

5. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

K thanks.. that's good to know.

6. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

no problem! i mean, nothing is positive, but that's usually how it goes. But as long as you're offering a calcium source and a protien source (sometimes you can kill two birds with one stone, too!) it's almost always safe. :)

7. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

That's awesome thanks!! I gave them mashed boiled egg with some powdered cuttle bone and some veggies mixed in. Should I continue offering food every day in case they're not really molting just exploring the substrate? I got some of those canned meal worms from a pet store are those ok to use? No added preservatives as far as I can tell. I'm thinking I should still offer some food just in case. I haven't been since they both went down a couple days ago. I haven't smelled any fishy smells yet. Will I be able to if they're both buried? Sorry for all the questions! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.