1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

booklice situation! help!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Bugaboo, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I discovered ity bity tiny white bugs in my crabitat. Thinking they're booklice. They are in the food water and sometimes substrate, but I bathed all crabs before putting them in the tank. Will they harm or bother my crabs? Should I be worried?? Should I do a deep clean or leave them be?? Please help, never had a bug situation before.

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I've been battling them for almost a year now. I think I currently have them under control by spraying salt water instead of regular water. So that's my suggestion. They wont really harm your crabs but I can imagine it must be annoying for them. Kinda like ants for us I'd imagine.
    Also I have no idea where they come from but I don't think it's getting new crabs since I bathed mine too.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Bfitooklice will not harm the crabs. I have had them for 3yrs. now but the tank has never been infested with them. In fact it does dramatically decress at times. In some ways they are benefical to them by eating waste. Ive never seen them on the crabs. I've tried to get rid of them but they seem to return with the change of substrate. But once the substrate starts to dry on top it seems they decress.

4. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I'm glad they won't harm them. The tiny bugs jump too, if that matters?

5. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Do the bugs you have look like this?
    [img=266x400]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/Bugabooroo/IMAG1778.jpg[/img]
    [img=266x400]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/Bugabooroo/IMAG1774.jpg[/img]

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

The ones I have are just tiny little specks. Smaller than a grain of sand. I have to look real close just to  see it move. Your picture is pretty magnified so its hard to say They might be.

7. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Someone said they were mites*sigh* and I've got crabs buried, so i m not sure what to do=/ any suggestiond??

8. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

did you just all the sudden have these after a new purchase of a  crab? if so then it could very well be mites and they have multiplied. When I get a new crab and bathe them, I bathe them, dump the water and do it again at least a few times and I swoosh the crabs really good lifting them up draining the water out of the shells and putting them back in and swooshing them around in the water again, very gentle of course and I check the water to.
    another thing is it could be infested dry foods?
    there is a way to cut around your molters and lift them out with the substrate around them, it takes time cause you are taking slices of substrate out until you reach them and then cut around them and then you have to lift them and all the substrate out around them and then put them in another tank. then you can super clean your tank, if you can get your tank in the sink or tub so you can rinse the crud out of it after you clean it really good with vinegar that's what I would do. I never had to deal with book lice, mites but I have delt with my fair share of bugs! ants and a bug that comes from the bark of maple tree bark if not treated right, they bread in my tank and some had wings others jumped, some got huge, some looked like gnats

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you can, ISO the crabs that are up. I'd do a surface clean of about 2-3 inches and toss all that substrate. Are the crabs just buried or are they molting? Can you see them?

You could get the pill bugs or predatory mites, but I'd start off with the surface clean for the time being with the crabs in ISO in NEW substrate. I"d also bathe them before putting them in ISO just to be safe.

10. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I've recently discovered they're mites. Little white mites. I bathed all the crabs before I put them in the tank. I'm not sure where the mites came from, but ill see if I can see any hermies from underneath the tank. Ill do the surface clean aswell. I just want the mites gone.

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

The predatory mites work the best, and you wouldn't have to move anyone. Just distribute then throughout the tank and they eat the mites. Once the mites are all gone the predatory ones die off. They can be about $40-50 but I've used them and they are definitely worth the $.

12. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Oh good idea! Thank you!! Predatory mites sound perfect! I've looked at the hydro miles(for short) and will probably get those. I want the least stress on my hermies.

13. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

hypo* miles I mean

14. Klabelle

I bought Hypoaspis miles, and they helped out a lot actually. Here is where I got them, spent like 32$ total. http://store.evergreengrowers.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=1

15. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Yay! Thanks!=) :hug2: :hug2:

16. Klabelle

No problem :] They keep reproducing as long as there are bugs to eat, then after they're all gone they eat plant matter and become sterile and the crabs didn't even seem to notice them. I might purchase more soon just to keep balance in my tank. Oh and I saw your comment on lady bugs, it couldn't hurt to try them, evergreen growers recently started selling those, praying mantises and a few other species as well.