1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blueberry crabs - where to buy?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mr. Krabs, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs "Never Molted"

Hello, I have a new 15gal setup with 4 misc crabs I got from a local petshop.  I'll have to try to ID them at some point but they are most likely PPs.

Anyone know where else you can buy blueberry crabs?  I see them on livehermitcrabs but they can get expensive.  If I buy 3 small ones it will be like $76 shipped, and that is with a 15% discount!  I hear they usually include an extra though which is nice.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hi there...unfortunately I can't give you any info on the Blueberries, but I did want to caution you against putting too many crabs in your 15 gallon tank.
    Depending on the sizes of the crabs, I would think that five crabs total would be enough.  You have to allow for growing room, molting room, floor space taken up by decorations and dishes, etc.  :flower:

3. Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs "Never Molted"

Thanks for the heads up.  Seems like everyone has different ideas as to how many crabs you can put in a certain size tank.  My crabs are all small, but I definitely understad they'll grow.  Maybe two more at most would do it.

I thought the blueberries would be neat as their color is really nice and different.  Anyone else have any suggestions as to interesting species?  Thanks.

4. Mckenny

How true Mr. Krabs...when I first started out I was constantly calculating how many crabs I could have in my tank.
    My son had a 55 gallon tank that I was going to use, and I basically was having a "slobber fest" over All The Crabs I Could Put In There!  :chuckle:

I did a lot of research though before setting up the tank and found a guideline that is tried and true.  It was hard having ALL that space and just a few crabs, but they grew and grew and in the end, I was glad I listened to those "in the know".

Just a tidbit---be careful about getting Hermies shipped to you during the winter months.  As well as they may be packed, it's still dangerous for the survival rate of the crab.  Oftentimes they're left sitting on a freezing loading dock overnight somewhere, or a cold storage area.  Quite a few places won't ship in the winter because of this, especially the further north you are.  :flower:

5. Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs "Never Molted"

Thanks for the post on how many crabs per gallon.  It is very helpful.

I know the place livehermitcrabs.com ships with a heat pack but I would still be worried with how cold it is.  I very well may wait to get a few more after the winter.

I wish pet shops around me, CT, were more knowledgeable about species of hermit crabs.  I asked a local mom and pop shop if they could get blueberries and their supplier couldn't get them.  Seems like around me the bulk of what is sold are PPs.  Not that that is bad, I just would find it interesting to have more of a variety in the tank.

6. Mckenny

That seems to be a common complaint Country wide---nothing but PP's and some E's.  I haven't seen a Strawberry in a long while.
    It looks like the ones who are selling the hermies Online are buying up the exotics before they have a chance to make it to the stores.  Sigh...