1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Was found yesterday with all but, two legs left in the water dish. & then Rojo my newset & most aggressive crab I think I ever had,he lost one leg too!!! This is the second time they got into a shell fight! Same crabs,different shells. I didn't know they could be so violent to one another! Sorry,about the babbling. R.I.P. Big Red. We miss you already. :(

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

How awful:eek:...I'm sorry for your loss..

3. summerluvin

summerluvin "Never Molted"

Oh, so sorry for the loss.

I haven't had any shell fights, but I was once at a pet shop looking at the crabs and saw two straws fighting. I kept trying to get a salesperson over, but could not find anyone and the cage was locked, so I couldn't reach in and break it up. I watched these two fight over a painted shell (or all things!) and one killed the other, pulled him out of the shell and then moved in. It was really sad.

I guess they just want what they want. Sorry about Big Red.

4. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Sorry about the loss of Big Red.

I've only have had one shell fight. The larger crab, whose shell was too small for it already, was going after a crab in whose shell he be unlikely to get more than his Big Pincher into. Fortunately I saw it happen. The small reshelled immediately,

Just 20 minutes later the large one was after him again, so we put the bully into ISO for a few days. Now they're fine together.

5. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Keri im sorry!!!Hope all else goes well.

6. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

That happened to us too. We just added a new crab and he went right over to my daughters crab and killed it right in front of all of us. I was unexperienced and told her that crabs were not aggressive and that they were just getting to know each other. Next thing we know her crab was dead and the new crab was in its shell. It was awful.

7. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Thanks everyone. :)

8. Hildegarde

Gee, what an awful thing to have witnessed, hermi5. Your daughter must be very upset.

9. hermie 5

She cried and wanted us to return the new hermit crab to the store. She still hates that crab, and gets sad seeing the shell of her beloved crab that she carried to michigan from N. Carolina.

10. krackersmom2

I know it won't ease the pain, but maybe in a week or two when she's settled down a bit you can begin to educate your daughter about wild/ instinctive behaviors. He's not a bad crabby....he just did what came naturally/instinctively. I hope this doesn't sound harsh or insensitive.

11. Hildegarde

No, it isn't a harsh bit of acceptance at all. One of the things about having pets with your children while they are young is that they experience life, but they also have to understand death. My daughter always wanted our pets to have 'babies'. So we bred our Siamese cat and our springer spaniel. It helped her a lot, I believe, in understanding the cycles of birth, life and death. This is a perfect time, hermies5,to use this to teach your daughter, and any other children you have, about life cycles. Hopefully it's not too late. It would be probably best for you all to have a small, private burial for your crab.

And we all understand, you can tell your daughter, and we offer her our condolences.

12. hermie 5

I tried that, I told her in nature shells are hard to come by, and that if they see a shell that they like they will fight for it. Just like she does with her brother and sister. Her reply was "yeah but I dont kill them". HaHa Smart kid! She will eventually get over it, but if this crab changed shells I think I will remove it and she won't have to have the reminder.

13. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

I'm sorry about your hermit. :[

But he's in a better place. Maybe this was destined for you to help another crab in need. :]

14. krackersmom2

I know, it's hard for little kids to understand:(.....good luck and hope that doesn't happen again:eek:

15. hermie 5

Thanks everyone! My kids bought me a new Hermie for my birthday. This same daughter said "Mom we found the one with the smallest shell, because he won't want my hermit crabs old shell for a LONG time". My other daughter said "I wanted the crab with the pretty valentine heart shell, but we told dad that "Mom doesn't like the painted shells so we picked out the one with a plain old shell from nature". I think my girls are learning a lot about life from all of our pets.

This new crab is so scared, I have never bought just one crab from a store I always buy them in pairs. I hope he makes it.

16. Hildegarde

Your daughters sound so sweet.

17. krackersmom2

What a sweet gesture. Sounds like they are learning...give yourself a pat on the back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.