1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Pets And Gardens-My Review!

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by CrazyCrabGuy, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Gravel is okay to use in the water bowl section of the tank, but don't use a lot as it is hard and not good for digging. I wouldn't use a lot of calci sand either because they don't like to dig in it and it clumps when wet. Also, it is possible for it to get stuck in a hermit crabs shell and harden, trapping them! You should take it out, put it in a plastic baggie and use it as food instead. It is a great calcium source so I often sprinkle it in the food dish. You should replace the calci sand with play sand or coconut fiber (my favorite) so they have something else to dig in just in case the saw dust isn't good. :)
    Remember, this is a happy forum and we're all trying to help!

2. CrazyCrabGuy

CrazyCrabGuy (Micro Crab)

Okay then I will try that,thanks:)
    ---Max---

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Soory I live in america

4. CrazyCrabGuy

Haha what shops do you have over there?
    We have this one,pet city and lots of others!

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

WHat Laughs said is good. Coco fiber is also my favorite.;) It eats (AKA decomposes or something) their poops.:)

6. CrazyCrabGuy

What is it and where do you get it???
    I haven't seen it in any stores

7. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Pet smart and petco!

8. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Ok so I was going to stay out of this because now others are starting in, I suggested you try the EE (also known as coconut fiber) on the other forum and you basically blew me off. I have been crabbing just about 1 year next month and I have read everything I can possibly read and have done a ton of research on crabs, substrates and foods and everything else you can ever think of on the crabs. I am a moderator on another forum you are a member of and you were told by other crabbers there too to watch it carefully. I am not trying to pick on you but I am saying all 3 substrates you have in the tank are not good for them. Yes you can use the gravel in the tank under the water dishes so that they don't dig under them, yes petstores and some other poor sites out there say calci sand is fine to use too but in fact it is not as it gets hard and could trap a burried crab and it starts to stink when it gets wet and yes maybe the store you went to and some other sites that must not know what they are talking about say saw dust is fine but when you get down to it none of those substrates are fine for crabs. We are just finding out some playsands are not fine for crabs either. It is all special testing other crabbers are trying to help us other crabbers out to try to save all crabs out there in the world that are in captivity. I just want to say you do what you want but I have had the same 2 crabs since I started 1 year ago adding more as the year went on. I have had 1 death in my crabitat since July 2008 so I must be doing something right (oh and she just died at the beginning of June 2009) so if you want to say I have no idea what I am talking about maybe when I was new I didn't but now I certainly know what I am talking about. I am a member of 6 different crab forums which yes some I am not posting actively but I do read actively. I am not some kid like you are I am a 30 year old mom of 2 daughters 10 and 4 which know also how to care for the crabs properly. Please don't sit there and think I have no idea what I am talking about and I have not done my research because I have. Everyone starts out somewhere and once you have a few deaths from the saw dust you will see that the substrates you are using were not ideal and you will be back here asking what substrates you should be using. It is research that makes you someone with knowledge, not a petstore that just wants to sell stuff that makes you knowledgable.

9. CrazyCrabGuy

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm okay I will just shut up and not say a word again. We will just have to wait and see

10. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well Peeps...I hear there is a sale on boxing gloves somewhere...anyone need some?? :D :D

U.S.A. = Freedom of Speech = Tolerance

This is a forum for sharing information, and learning how to properly care for hermit crabs. If anyone choses not to use the correct information, that is their right, as sad for the crabs as it may be. We can suggest, and point out the obvious, but the decision is theirs (yours) to make. So let's all take a deep breath------:)

11. cococrisp

Really Mckenny.:rolleyes: OK.
    Ok. You're right we need to calm down. Max, you can try the sawdust but we don't recommend it. You decide. I have to say, pet stores have ecomended gravel to me so I don't really trust them. If you really like the idea of sawdust, I would recommend that you use Eco Earth with a little bowl or dish or sawdust. To be on the safe side, I would ot use it. That's my opinion but this is your decision.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'd like to see the links to the sites that say it's ok to use sawdust. I've been a crabber for 5 years now and not once have I heard on any site that it's ok to use.

CrazyCrabGuy, you need to take your tone down a few notches. Chermo is being level headed and providing you with correct information. Posting a thread with this in it "Um i'm really sorry but if you want proof I will give you proof just wait chermo,cause they're not gonna die you just wait" is unacceptable.

Cococrisp, please don't take this wrong, but to encourage bad crab care is not ok.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  13. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

The main problem with the internet that I've found in my years of crabbing is that with children, when one person says something is ok, that word is taken as gold. No real thought is ever given to common sense.

Let me ask, How long have you kept your crabs on sawdust. How many do you have, how many have died. When they died, what symptoms were shown? I want to see pictures of your tank.

Wet wood molds. Point blank. Your never going to find "pure, clean" sawdust. No matter how fine it is its still highly abrasive as well. Not to mention the amount of true dust that, just as mentioned, WILL clog gills. That, is common sense. Wood can also absorb water, and what is waterlogged wood? Rotting. Basic biology.

Also as mentioned the sites state that gravel can be used. Well, I'm sure most of us can figure out with common sense that gravel is a poor choice of substrate. Just because I keep my Leopard Geckos on paper towel, which works great for them, I'm not going to use it as a substrate for my crabs. I'm going to keep using ground coconut husk fiber, which has been proven to be a great substrate, and fine, clean playsand.

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

I did some googling and came up with some sites that mention sawdust. They are all Australian websites. All I can say is that it's sad these companies(they are NOT forums) are promoting bad land hermit crab care.

Here's some of the bad info.

"The floor of the aquarium should be kept dry in winter coarse saw dust to help keep them warm."

"The floor needs to be kept dry as wet sand and high humidity can create a smelly and slimy environment for your crabs."

"The gravel or sand does not have to be deep as the crabs do burrow and you can't see them if they are buried too deep."

"Many crab owners take their crabs everywhere they go, to school, friends' homes or even on holiday! If you have friends with Crazy Crabs, why not get together for some fun activities such as Crazy Crab Races, or climbing competitions!"

"Keeping the humidity at 60%+ in the crabarium will keep your crabs active."

"Your crabs can survive with salt water alone and no fresh water at all"

"
    Straw or chaff. This is our preferred choice of substrate during summer, it is the most similar to the leaf litter crabs like to use on the beach in summer when they are most active and it is open and gives them plenty of air to breath yet holds and adsorbs moisture. It is quick ,cheap and easy to replace a fouled straw bed and is readily available at most pet stores. "

"We distribute an absolutely massive range of sea shells available in both larger and smaller sizes with over 100 painted designs, plus glitter shells and our nutty range of three dimensional shells including our hat range, bug range and character range."

15. froggz37

Lol-The Aussie version of the American FMR

16. cococrisp

I found the same sorts of things when I googled it. Especially the first one.

17. CrazyCrabGuy

Ok everyone I will change everything ok
    I will go out today and find other stuff that you recommended,and sorry chermo but I promise I will change the full layout:)
    Everyone Happy
    Max

18. froggz37

When your crabs are happy! :)

19. CrazyCrabGuy

I changed it today so there is eco earth,moss and calci sand how is this anyone wanna suggest something else instead of gravel and Chermo could you please be my friend,I'm sorry:(
    The crabs are getting used to the new stuff but really like it:)
    ---Max---

20. cococrisp

IS EE the main substrate with calci sand and moss in parts? I would suggest that you not put the water dish on the calci sand. If the water spills the calci gets wet and clumps etc. sounds good, though! Make sure to post pictures!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.