1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Pets And Gardens-My Review!

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by CrazyCrabGuy, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyCrabGuy

CrazyCrabGuy (Micro Crab)

If you are living in Perth Western Australia and are looking for a good hermit crab shop then go to Better Pets and Gardens which has very nice fish,garden stuff,food for my dog and of course hermits!!!
    You can get bowls,shells,survival packs with your fave wafl team (I doubt it you Americans know what that means) gravel,calci sand,trees,huts and everything else for your special friends. It is a really cool shop and it has the pink poster which means it is a certified crazy crab dealer in WA (The australian version not washington)
    I give this shop 4 and a half stars!!! So if your ever passing by and need crab stuff be sure to visit better pets and gardens!!!

---Max---

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Sounds like they are a good store, but when you mentioned calci sand, I just wanted to say make sure you don't use that as your substrate. It clumbs and can get stuck in the hermies' shell, and it is not good for tunneling and making caves. Plus those who have used it say it can smell.

Just a tidbit of info...:)

3. CrazyCrabGuy

Oh yeah its in 1 third of the enclosure/tank/whatever you want to call it but they use the sawdust for burying and tunneling and it doesn't smell.

---Max---

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Sounds good but sawdust? I've never heard of that as substrate until you mentioned it in another post. Sounds like a good place. I don't know anyone else in Australia though...

5. CrazyCrabGuy

Everyone is saying about the sawdust but I went on a few other forums/websites etc. before this one and they all said sawdust and it doesn't seem to effect the crab if anything they love the stuff,the place is great but shame there isn't any other aussies on here.

---Max---

6. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Well if other people are using it and saying it's okay then I guess it;s okay. I don't think anyone here has used it yet on this forum.

Ah yes one more thing you said you don't know what kind of tree they used? Can you contact the people who made it and ask them? As long as it is not made from a conifer like a redwood or pine tree , that's fine. I would just make sure.

7. CrazyCrabGuy

Its one of those beachy sort of trees you find on the beach its like a cross between a tree,sponge and seaweed,but it's definitely not what you said so there's no point of asking!

8. OneOnion

Oh okay just checking.:D

9. cococrisp

Well, pine is toxic to crabs and it irratates them.

10. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

It doesn't seem like you are willing to remove it, even on the other forum you said you are not going to get rid of it so why did you ask? We are just trying to help and you should really call the company and ask, I would hate to see your crabs die because you were told the saw dust was fine to use with them. Who did the years of research on the saw dust with crabs that they know? I want the link to the place you got it from so I can see what you are using, there has to be a company on the bag or something. It is better safe then sorry and you learn the hard way with your crabs dieing. Do what you want since it seems you don't care what we say and you are just going to keep using it anyways. We are just saying that saw dust is probably not safe for them and since research has been done over the years by experienced crabbers and you are the first to ever use saw dust then it is probably not a safe substrate for them. I guess you will be the first to start the research on it with your crabbies, after years of using the saw dust and lots of successful molts with the same crabs let us know how it works, we don't want months we want years of research.

11. CrazyCrabGuy

Um i'm really sorry but if you want proof I will give you proof just wait chermo,cause they're not gonna die you just wait. Oh and if you want proof there is a few websites that recommend it so I will send you the links in a private mail,is this legal?

12. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Yep send me the links, I want to see what the links.

13. cococrisp

Well, I'm thinking that I remember someone said that they got bad info on shipping hermit crabs from another forum. I'm not even sure if sawdust in unsafe or not but maybe there is a forum that's giving bad information.:confused:

14. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

I am a new crabber so take this however you want. But I have been googling for things on saw dust and hermit crabs. everything I read states that saw dust is to dry and fine to use for Crabs. It said it can clog their shell and also clog their gills causing them to smother themselves. Also I can't see how the sawdust would be to good with getting wet.Dont take any of this as criticism or anything, Iam just try to help you by helping your crabs. Sand is not all that expensive if cost is what concern you.

15. CrazyCrabGuy

Fine okay okay whatever I will try the tank with some sand and see how the crabs react okay otherwise I will put the sawdust in and continue to prove that sawdust is fine to use!

16. CrazyCrabGuy

So chermo you can do your own research cause lots of websites say it is good for burying etc. so just do your own stuff I will prove it in a few months time!!!

17. cococrisp

Ok Guys. Calm down a little. We should go do our research and come back and tell what we have. I'll go read up a little too. Can they molt in it?

18. OneOnion

Yes. we're not accusing you of anything, CrazyCrabGuy, we're all just trying to help each other, and that's what this forum is for, right?

19. cococrisp

Yes. That's why were're here. I researched a little and found that sawdust was OK on several sites. What I am noticing though is that some (not all) also wrote that gravel and wood chips were acceptable substrates. If you keep using the sawdust I would suggest that you also have another substrate that they can burrow in. You could make observations of which they are in more.:confused: Just make sure the wood is not toxic and that they can get away fomri t if the want. Maybe you could have a little dish of it that they could go in on one side of the tank.:confused:

20. CrazyCrabGuy

I have got 3 things on the floor in my tank,one third is sawdust,one third is gravel and the other is calci sand is this good for burying because the spend the most time in the sawdust.I think they can molt in it otherwise I will put them in an ISO tank to molt. Also that chermo person is saying it's bad and she needs proof,can't she read herself and I bet they'll be fine we will just have to wait and see!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.