1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best & Worst Stores In TASMANIA

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by nick-dadson, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

The good:

Pets 'n' Things - Burnie City
    --- Best crab set-up I have ever seen in a pet store. Great range, staff who actually know what they're doing and the crabs even have things such as 'I need a warm environment' and 'salt-water please' written on their in-store tank.

Eastlands Pet Supply - Eastlands Shopping Centre, Rosny Park, Hobart
    --- While they do use fine gravel I was there today and it was fantastic - ALL of their crabs were happy and active. There was plently of space, several chunks of climbing wood, room to hide, and NO commercial food!! 4 were even sharing a piece of apple!!

Kingston Aquarium & Pet Centre, Channel Court Shopping Centre, Kingston Town
    --- This was the first pet store I ever left feeling like the owners really cared for the crabs! Big tank with lots of hides, toys, good food etc. Nice products - helpful advice.

The average:

Mowbray Pet Shop - Mowbray, Launceston City
    --- The woman who owns this actually uses one of the plastic/wire contraptions to keep them while in the store - but... She is learning more about them all the time and I know they're happy - always active and she DOES mist and have a heat pad. Not ideal set-up I know, but the fact that they're active is a good sign.

The bad:

Flynns Pet Shop, Hobart City
    --- In here today, and if It was bad before with the tiny, no-lidded tank with massive, crushing river pebbles and no hides, it's worse now. Massive tank... but... those awful water dispensers with upside down bottles, don't recall food, horrible rocky substrate - they'd have no hope in hell of moulting under, let along walking on/in that, no lid and didn't appear to be a heater - something had a wire in there but it was actually IN the tank. Not good. I'm going to write a letter to this one, it was just appaling and cruel.

2. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Hows this for my complaint letter for Flynns Pet Shop?? Comments please...

ATTENTION: FLYNNS PET SHOP MANAGER

Hello, my name is Nick Dadson. I live in Launceston but regularly shop in Hobart, and I always make sure to call by your store. Several days ago I entered your store, hoping to buy some new supplies and have a look at your hermit crabs – I really did neither [or not as I’d hoped to]. I was absolutely blown away and shocked at the conditions your poor crabs have been subjected to. While I recognise that your staff are NOT paid to look after the hermit crabs 24/7, it should not be too much trouble I’d assume to ensure an adequate set-up for the crabs.

Several things in particular really alarmed me above all others, those being…

• The chosen substrate in your setup: Hermit Crabs need either sand or coconut fiber [marketed as crab soil] in their tanks. Why? Firstly, it helps keep the humidity high for the crabs, and this is vital for their survival, Secondly, hermit crabs molt. This involves the crabs digging a cave under the substrate and remaining there for several weeks, while they shed their ekoskeleton and harden a new one. If crabs are forced to put this off due to bad conditions or the inability to dig under, they will eventually die.
    • The water dispensers you’re using are appalling. Crabs need normal reptile dishes, deep enough for them to fully submerge. Like fish they source oxygen from water. These should be cleaned out ever few days at the least and both fresh and salt water should be available.
    • You have no hiding places for your crabs. This is vital for their security and overall comfort and wellbeing.
    • There were no fake plants or vines. These are vital for the crabs as they are natural climbers – and are prone to escape if they get bored.
    • There was no lid to your tank!! Hermit crabs need a constant humidity of at least 80%, and a temperature between 24 and 28 degrees Celsius. Whether or not you mist the crabs and/or have sponges available to help heighten humidity as well as heat pads and lights to heighten temperature will not at all matter – because with no lid you’d be counteracting these things before they could even take place!
    While I realise each of these things would take a small amount of time and money to implement, I urge you to look at the benefits. For example, if you have lively crabs in your store that are well looked after, your customers are going to be impressed by them, thus the chances of them selling, either with or without a complete or partial set-up will be much greater.

Quite frankly, at the current time I would not at all buy crabs or a set-up from your store. The crabs do not appear well looked after, so they’re potentially more likely to be sick, they’re not at all active due to this, leading me as a customer to think that they’d be boring pets, and your set-up doesn’t look very nice – I wouldn’t want an eyesore in my home.

If I were to make recommendations about how you could rectify the situation, this is what I’d suggest.

• Throw that horrid gravelly/rocky stuff [no idea what it is] on the bottom of your tank away immediately. Replace it with nice, clean reptile approved sand or compressed coconut fibre. Maintain it by misting it when it is no longer damp through. Avoid letting it dry out completely or letting it get too wet – this would cause mold.
    • Remove the awful water dispensers and use proper reptile water dishes. Replace both the fresh and salt water each morning before you open.
    • Along with the water dishes, add another in for food. Avoid commercial food and instead use things like fresh fruit and veggie scraps. Please see the A-Z list of crab-certified food items I’ve attatched.
    • Add in at least 1 ceramic reptile cave, ‘cocohut’ or half-log. Cocohuts are available at most other pet stores and will provide the security and overall comfort I describe above.
    • You have some lovely reptile plants and fake aquarium plants in your store– make use of them! These make the tank look nice, help out the crabs and showcase just how useful your products are in many different situations!!
    • Add a GLASS lid to your tank. Install and under-tank heater [UTH – you stock these] and also a light to be on while the store is open. Add in a temperature and humidity gauge.
    I urge you to not just dismiss this letter, but to take it into account. For the crabs you stock, your store will be the first home they’ve had since being plucked from their natural home and shipped off. I know your main goal is to sell them on, but this cannot be done if the crabs are not attracting people – and happy crabs will do that, because that’s how I bought my first few…they were active and happy in the store.

On a final note, I have to say, I consider your tank conditions horrid, and the way these crabs are living is pretty much animal abuse. They may not be the size [or price, for that matter] of a puppy or kitten, but that doesn’t mean they don’t deserve proper care an attention.

I hope you’re able to implement all of my above recommendations, and I look forward to seeing your happy and active crabs next time I’m passing by your store.

Yours truly,

Nick Dadson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.