1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bent claw after molt.

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by cococrisp, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

My crab Lucky came up from a molt today. I picked her up and realized that her claw was shaped funny and bent. I think it was a molt deformity sort of thing. I've had her for several months now. I put some extra cuttle bone in there for her. I think it was something just natural but I brought the humidity down a little because it was a little high. She would be most likely affected because she is the smallest. I'll take a picture later. Should I put her in ISO? This is sort of weird. I'm not even sure if that is Lucky because Cheerio's shell is empty and Oh gosh I can't even keep track of my crabs.:eek:

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Sometimes that will happen during a molt even with the most perfect of conditions. I don't think you would have to isolate her as long as she can get around ok. Which claw is it? As long as one of her claws is good she should be able to eat and drink.
    She will most likely go down for another molt sooner, and usually when they come up from another molt everything will be normal. Just keep an eye on her and if she is getting around and doing her thing, I wouldn't worry too much.

It's hard sometimes keeping up with everyone, especially if several molt at the same time and come up and change shells when we're not looking. I have a hard time with mine too, but I don't fret over it like I used to. I just do a head count, try to remember who's down for a few weeks, and stare at them until my eyes bug out trying to find some familiar antenna.:D:D

3. cococrisp

Yep. I'm beginning to just remember the number I have, all their names and what tank they are in and that's just about it.:eek: The claw that is bent is her big one. The one that blocks off her shell. I was just a little worried about the other crabs and that they might bully her because she can't really pinch. I've got several pictures that people want me to take so I'll take some this weekend including one of Lucky. I had heard this thing happen before but I was a little surprised when it was funny.
    Thanks.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just keep an eye on her, and if your other crabs aren't aggressive and shell stealers, she'll be ok. She may be a little awkward climbing and digging, but she will adjust. They are very resilient and have to face all sorts of things in the wild. You're a good crabby mommy and she'll do just fine.:)

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Wow it must be really hard to keep track of 8-16 crabs, especially when you have so many shells for them to choose from! I only have four so it's really easy for me! :) I hope Lucky doesn't have a hard time with her claw. She'll be fine, though!

6. Sarbrand

Sarbrand Hi, I'm New Here!

Your crab should be ok as long as he is still able to use it. Chances are he will molt earlier than normal to correct the deformity. That's the great things about crabs, regenerating body parts! Wish humans could do that!! Sarbrand

7. cococrisp

Thanks
    I found a giant pile of dirt today (of course it had to be in the middle of the shells filling them all with dirt *sigh*) so I don't really know who, but someone is molting. I don't know if it's Lucky or not because I'm lucky to find one crab in the day. They hide so well I can't find my Jumbo.:eek: Hopefully it's Lucky but just a day seems really short ot be up. Maybe it's a different crab.

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Wow! I knew hermit crabs molt sooner to correct a deformity but I didn't know they could do it right after! Don't they need time to regain their strength?

9. cococrisp

it was not her. I don't know who it was. I saw them all scurrying round the tank today. I don't know which was missing but I know one was. I was not really looking, just think " Oh 2 out of three of my small crabs are out tonight!". She is fine. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.