1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic Hermit Crab Care Checklist

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vckums, Jan 24, 2006.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Not official YET. Give me opinions.

Basic Hermit Crab Care Sheet

The Hermit Crab Addiction recommends the following supplies for your hermit crabs well being. You may find these items at your local pet store or online. Please check the site http://www.hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum for more ideas or The Hermit Crab Addictions online store can be found at www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com

SUPPLIES

•Glass aquarium or terrarium. We recommend nothing smaller then a 10 gallon. Also known as a crabitat.
    •A glass or plexi-glass lid for the aquarium. You may use a mesh lid and cover it with saran wrap. Please be advised this isn’t the best solution.
    •A humidity gauge to assure the crabitat stays at the recommended 74 - 82% relative humidity
    •A temperature gauge. The crabitat needs to be between 72 - 84 degrees farenheit temperature
    •UTH(under tank heater) for your correct tank size. You may also use a combo light. You will need a day-glo and a night-glo incandescent bulb. The wattage will vary depending on your tank size.
    •Substrate that is acceptable, such as play sand that is deemed safe for children, beach sand, compressed coconut fiber (Eco Earth and Forrest Bedding) or fine crushed coral.
    •Extra shells are needed. Approximately 4 shells per crab in a varying range of sizes and types.
    •Fresh foods are a MUST. Offer them daily fresh meat, eggs, fruit, veggies and nuts. We offer a safe food list on our site, please check it out.
    •Dechlorinated water & bowl(not metal). Get a water conditioner at most pet stores in the aquarium supply area. Make sure it does NOT contain a slime coat. Tap water will harm your crabs.
    •Saltwater and bowl(not metal). Also found in the aquarium section of a pet store. Do NOT use table salt as it is harmful to hermit crabs. You need the salt water bowl to be deep enough to FULLY cover your largest crab. Some brands are Oceanic and Instant Ocean salt water. The salt water also need to be dechlorinated.
    •Hiding coves and huts. You can make your own out of Tupperware or buy store bought items such as half logs, caves and coconut huts.
    •Climbing accessories such as choya/cholla wood, cork bark, grapevine, driftwood and coral. You can use fake plastic plants and vines, hemp nets, turtle docks are also great.

*Certain species may require more stringent temperature and humidity conditions. Please refer to our Specific Species Care Sheets. (coming soon)

2. ms_hecubus

ms_hecubus Guest

I'm wondering if there should be a little * after the temp and humidity recommendations with a notation at the bottom that species like Straws and Indos need more stringent conditions.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

We do plan on having care sheets aimed at each species. I will make a note of it at the bottom. Thank you so much!

4. ms_hecubus

ms_hecubus Guest

I figured there will be caresheets for each species, but I know some people will get the check list and quit looking. I thought that maybe a little notation referring to specific species might encourage people to do more research.

Of course, any information is better than what most pet stores give out. I've never once been given a care sheet when buying a crab. Sure, some of the employees talk to me and I end up teaching them things, but not everyone asks or cares if I know what I'm doing.

Anyhow, I think the check list looks good. :icon_cheers:

5. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Suggestion: on the Saltwater and bowl one. Perhaps stress again that the saltwater also needs to be dechlorinated and perhaps at the end suggest what brands or what to look for at the petstore to use to also stress the no table salt statement.

Oh yeah, is someone going to put up the conversions here for the salt to water mixtures for the different brands? That would be a handy thing to have here I think.

I only made my suggestions based on personal experience. As an IT person who works Helpdesk trouble calls I've found that for a lot of people you have to be VERY specific with instructions and repeat a lot or they just won't get it. I'm assuming here that this care sheet is for someone who's never done a thing with crabs before, right?

That's all, I hope that's an ok suggestion?

6. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

CC I think those are great suggestions. I think what we are trying to do is reach a balance between handing someone a sheet and handing them a packet of info.

The salt info is a good idea. What will probably happen is we will narrow it down to a basic list of vital info and then at the bottom an invitation to come and join us for more info (and fun! :eek:ccasion18:)

We might consider starting a FAQ board as we receive them and have good answers posted in there. That forum could be "read only" and have a lot more detailed info.

7. CrabbyChris22

Yeah, the FAQ board is a good idea Lola. I sure wish I knew more about all of this so I could help create helpful and useful stuff for everyone. I tried but I can't get any info out of anyone and I just don't know enough to do one myself.

8. The FAQ board is an excellet idea! Let me know if you need any help on it. I've only been crabbing for 6 months, but I've picked up a lot of stuff through that time! :icon_thumleft:

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

ok I added all the suggestions.

10. CrabbyChris22

awww, thanks for adding mine Vicki.

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome.

You can print this out to hand out to new crabbers, pet stores etc. I am working on caresheets this morning

12. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

I'm no expert by any means, and I see that this list has been here for a while, but I'll add my two cents. I think there needs to be specific directions that the substrate needs to be moist (I've heard it described as sandcastle consistency -- as in if you can build with it, it's probably wet enough). Also, doesn't the substrate need to be deep enough for the largest crab to be able to dig totally under?

Last comment: UTHs seem to dry out the substrate in a hurry. I read somewhere that they should be side-mounted. That seems to work well in my tank.

-Sandy C.

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thanks for replying Sandy. I think I didnt add the moisture to it because there are some people who don't moisten their substrate. It's a personal thing, you either do or don't. UTH's can dry out the substrate, but they aren't as useful mounted on the side from what I've read. I don't use one because of safety reasons. But I do appreciate you adding to the thread. Let's members know there's options!

14. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

I'm not sure if I should be concerned...My mother gave me a few nice pieces of coral yesterday from Florida. I made sure to boil them to be sure no bugs. Anyway...I have 2 of my crabs that are stuck to it. They love it...what are they doing? why do they love it? Is it safe for them..should I be concerned that they love it so much? I have had other pieces of coral in there before that they didn't care for... but now.....it's like an addiction for them.

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

hermies love coral and when its new its probably more attractive than one that has been sitting around. They will pick at it but the most they do is sit on it- I keep mine in the water for a jaccuzzi affect

16. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

awesome......she hes sooooo many pieces. I'll try mine in the water dish too....Thanks "mean one".....o.k I'll stop! :eek:ops2:

17. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

From what I've heard coral is an excellent source of calcium.Do you have a piece of cuttlebone in there?If not you might want to put one in there just to be sure they are getting enough.

18. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

this is an old thread from Oct- they dont even come here anymore :dontknow:

19. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

VERY helpful thread, Vicki! Thank you! :straw: