1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bake or boil these items?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by imported_Mermaid, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Mermaid

imported_Mermaid Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a food bowl and a water bowl that is that rough material. It kind of looks like stone but is more like compressed sand if that makes sense. You find them in the reptile section of the pet stores. I want to clean these before putting in the tat. Would it be better to bake or boil these items?

Oh, I also have a half log. Should I bake that?

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

What I've done in the past is to microwave the water until hot (I use the salt water mixture) and then place the items to be cleaned in to soak for 20 or 30 minutes. I then take an old toothbrush and scrub the item and then rinse it off. I do it this way sometimes when I'm not sure if it could survive a boiling or baking.

You can bake the log or even let it soak in 2X strength salt water and if warm enough, set it outside in the sun for a couple of days. You can also place it in the oven but if you decide to soak it make sure it is completely dry before placing back in the tank.

Perhaps baking the log would be the best choice especially if it isn't messy or buggy.

Hopefully others will give you some options too. :flower:

3. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

Do not boil the bowls. They are made of a resin and when heated up above a certain temp will leach chemicals. I found this out the hard way and almost killed all of my crabs. i would suggest doing the microwave water way and keep it safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.