1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

My blind hermie, Baby, had a terrible molt and did not survive. He was buried for weeks, resurfaced, then attempted to molt in a moss pit. I noticed a terrible odor and picked him up. He fell out of the shell. His fresh, soft body was only partially separated from the exo. He had an eye deformity when I got him. His first molt left him blind, second molt left him with leg deformities, then he couldn't pull this one off.
    Also, one of my new ones passed this weekend, too. Never even made it to the main tank.
    King Krab molted in the other moss pit on Friday. His BP did not separate from the exo and he dropped it. The shell of the BP was about halfway off the new BP. Why didn't the exo come off the BP?? I'm doing everything right.
    It has been such a hard weekend...

2. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Poor little guy.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss :(

Meg

3. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

So sorry its never easy. It seems like lots of us a loosing crabs right now, I lost one last week myself.

4. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have no advice for you, just an empathetic ear. I have one that I'm about to lose (yet again)... I'm sure that he's not going to make it through his molt, even though he shed his exo (he's been streaking and since he's so soft there's not much I can do). I definitely sympathize with you. It's very tough sometimes.

5. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Yes, it's hard on all of us. I too am sorry for your loss.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

(((HUGS))) I am sorry Alli

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Sorry about your loss...I wish this streak for our friends would end!

8. alli'smommy

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I wish we knew why we were having such awful luck lately.

9. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

My boyfriend said, "Maybe they're just getting old." I tried to explain to him that hermit crabs don't die of "old age" in captivity... there's something else behind it. I guess he was just trying to be nice, but he kept arguing about it. He was like, "Well, you've had them for years, and maybe you got them all around the same time, and they were all the same age....." and on and on... He just doesn't get it, but at least he was trying to make sense of it all.

10. alli'smommy

I know. My husband said "how can you get attached to a crab". I wish they understood. I try to get him to get to know them, learn about them. He just looks at me like I'm nuts.

11. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

My family all thinks I need to be commited to the asylum. I took hame a goody bag for my crabs from the restaurant yesterday. They all yelled MOM YOUR CRAZY!! But I had some great crab snacks going to waste. I told them all of you are spoiled, I am always thinking of the living creatures in our house. You should see how spoiled the dogs are.

12. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Rocco, one of my husband's favorites, passed away today. Right now he's writing a eulogy for Rocco. Freddy made a little grave yard in the side yard, so that's where Rocco will be laid to rest.

13. alli'smommy

awww. That is sweet that your family is as into the crabs are you are. I'm very sorry you lost Rocco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.