1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Molts? Please check here

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by vckums, Jan 19, 2006.

1. annsminiatures

annsminiatures Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks so much for your fast reply and for the great picture links!  It is encouraging to see how beautifully that crab regenerated its missing eye!!

He/she still has the eye stalk, so I am hoping that is a good sign.  I'll have to try and get a decent pic of it and share it here.  Hopefully I will have nice after shots eventually just like Marie did!

2. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Yeah my crab, Pirate had that eye problem. When I bought her she had a jelly eye. Then she molted and now she grew back her eye, but it is half the lenght of her other eye. It gets a bit longer with each molt.  :hermez:

3. annsminiatures

annsminiatures Hi, I'm New Here!

It is good to hear that Pirate's eye is regenerating.  I'm hoping it won't be too long for Zinx since it is only the black part that is missing and the stalk is still perfectly intact.

4. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

RIP SPeedy

Hey guys,

I think i have lost Speedy.... First I lost Rocky ater an unsuccesful moult, the Mr Muscles came through his fine, and now Speedy has died.... i think. He did't even finish his moult, the only thing i could tell had moulted was his eyes (they were clear???).

Here is a run down of what happened -

1. Found him naked, with another crab sitting on top of him. I was like what the....... But it looks like "Wilson' may of ditched his shell and stolen Speedy's!! (Or maybe it's Wilson, and Speedy is still in his original shell).

2. Left him for hlaf a day, still naked and didn't want to go into a shell. I put heaps of shells around (usually kept on the second level but he didn't look like he had eough strength to climb)

3. I 'sat' him in one of the shells the next morning as e was still naked, and put him in water to stop him from getting dehydrated. He crawled out no worries, so he was still moving.

4 He did finally get into a shell, and i left him alone.

5. A day later i checked on him, and he was nestled but not buried into the coconut fiber. I picked him up and that's when i noticed him half hanging out of his shell and the clear eyes, so i assumed he was moulting. I immediately put him back down and buried him a bit more to protect him.

6. The last few days he still hadn't moved... checked last night, still in the same position and was almost falling out of his shelll. He's started to smell a bit fishy, but there is still very very faint movement. And what i thought was his moulted exoskeleton, is still his body as he is all in one piece.

So what do i do... I am also concerned as my UTH seems to be drying out the coconut fiber too much, and even with covering up the tank and persistent spraying, itcan go right down to 60 percent humidity. After i spray a bit, it bounces up to about 80.

Help :( I am sad!!

PS I will have to take pics of Mr Muscles..... he seems to be happy and healty after his moult, but he is still 'blue' and his leg and big dlaw are slightly dented???

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Pictures of Speedy would certainly help...are you sure that the 'clear' eyes aren't exo eyes? That's what they look like in a shed exo. See if you can get a peek back into his shell and see if he's in there, lighter colored and smaller than previously.

6. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

I did try and get him out of the shell last night, he came out easily but i didn;t pull him out all the way. He definately still had his back end attached to his hard part of his body/his exoskeleten.

THing is he smelt really really bad last night, fishy, (that mean he's definately dead, right?) and no movement what so ever. I think he is dead, i buried him late yesterday evening :(

7. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I know this was sort of old but I thought I'd post this pic of lucky after she came up from a molt. See, she couldn't move her claw because one side was higher than it other. It was weird but she's all better now and I think it's been two molts.
    [img=400x300]http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu288/coco-crisp/P1110478.jpg[/img]

8. Keara

Keara Hi, I'm New Here!

Bad Molt - Dropped all legs on one side

Today one of  my favorite crabs re-appeared from a molt and he's missing all the legs on one side.  I've never had a crab have this extent of deformity/issue after after a molt.  He's an E, a fairly little guy, fits in the palm of my hand, like a walnut. I'm so sad.  My tank is really large and spread out and without his big pincher and the legs on that same side, I'm afraid he'll have trouble getting around (too exhausting), eating, drinking (getting into the dishes, etc.)--forget climbing! So, I suppose I'm wondering, should I move him into a smaller tank, isolate him until he molts once or twice and has those legs back?  Then all the dishes will be smaller, closer together, easier?  It will be like having disabled access for my poor little guy.  I am completely serious, not even making a joke about that. I want to give him the best chance at survival.

[img=400x393]http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/kearalu/Crabs/IMG_4821-1.jpg[/img]

9. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

ISO is what I'd do, for all the reason's you stated.  It usually doesn't take long before he'll go down again for another molt to try and re-grow his missing limbs.

Hang in there and keep us posted.  :hug2: