1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Babylon(ia?) vs. Turbo shells

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by strawberryskittle, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Hello all!!!

As part of my massive spending spree back in June after I discovered the needs of my two lovely hermies, I landed with something around 100 shells of all different types

Amongst these, conch, turbos, babylonia, and delphinula are most common.

I have seen my large crab, in need of larger space, get into a delphinula, fall over repeatedly and eventually give up. I have seem my large one also get into a conch, but then proceeded to stop moving all together, I'm assuming because of just the sheer bulk of the ends.

My small crab discovered a fitting tubo and has refused to leave ever since. Both crabs are now in turbos.

I have never seen either of my crabs touch the babylonia shells. It's a real headache, because I have LOADS!!!!!!!!! And I mean loads. Is that it? Will they not ever get into those babylonia shells? Should I see about attempting to trade them? I really could do with more turbos, since both of mine seem to like those exclusively!

I heard E's like babylonia shells, but I don't have Es! Anyone confirm this?

2. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

I'm of the opinion, that they treat shells like toys. Some kids like to play with new toys, a few kids never let go of a particular toy.

My large hermie only wears Murex and Conchs, he won't touch the (expensive, pretty) turbos I got him. Two of my smaller PPs love the babylonia shells. Two others love turbos/delphinulas.

I can take a handful of new shells, put the babylonias on one side, and the delphinulas on the other and you will see my crabs immediately split up and check out shells. It's like the parting of the sea. And I guarantee you that Slug will try on anything at least once! lol

3. strawberryskittle

I've had a variety in the tank for some time now of sizes for both of my crabs, and after some uhing and ahing, my large on keeps prefering turbo types. My small one instantly got into a turbo when the right size was available, went down to molt, and has refused to leave that shell ever since.

I'm okay with that, I love turbos, but I wonder if I should keep this in mind as their preferences and stop buying babys -_-

4. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Most PP's(and I mean most most) won't touch Babylon/a/ia shells ever but I have heard of some PP's in Babylona's before. So the chance that one of your PP's will get in a Babylona is kinda slim.

5. strawberryskittle

Bummer. Do E's use them more often then? I wonder what it is that makes them have these preferences? Body shape? Hmm...

Anyone have crabs that love Baby shells and live near the Maryland DC area? :/

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Buddy is in a babylonia shell, and he is a PP. But his shell is painted, so he probably got forced into it. :( I put a lot of natural babylona shells in his tank in case he wants to change into once of those since that is what he's used to. I also put in a lot of turbos since most PPs love them.
    Most PPs like O opening shaped shells and most Es like D shaped shells. Babylonias have D shaped openings, so I gues that's why none of your crabs like them.

7. deedeeiam

[​IMG]
    Parker does! ;p

I've heard that PPs don't traditional like them, but I never did get it since I had two that were a bit OCD with their odd shells.

I'm in Martinsburg/Winchest/DC about every-other month for business travels. Dinner and shell-swap? ;)

8. Laughs O Lot

Parker is a cute crab! :)

9. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Chance is in a Babylon you can see it pic on the " 16gal playland" thread

10. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

People say that Es prefer D openings and PPs like Os, but all 4 of my Es are in turbo shells and 2 of my 4 PPs are in D openings. The other two are huge crabs, so I'm not sure if it's a size thing, or if it's as they say - that crabs will always like the shape of their first shells. Crabs will change into shells more often if you take them out regularly and boil them (they think they're new shells). I usually do this every week or two and there is definitely more interest after the shells go back in. Also, I don't know of anyone whose crabs changed into delphinula shells...which is sad because I have like 15 or 20 of them (came in one of those huge shell lots off of ebay).

11. Michele213

Michele213 "Never Molted"

My PP's will not touch Babylon shells either. They pretty much just bury them on sight. It seems to me that Brave and Spidey prefer turbos, whereas Flower has been seen sporting a wonderful D shaped sea shell now and then. They have all outgrown the shells purchased for them when they were new to my home. I would have to suggest that if you are going to buy sea shells that you've never tried before, to either get cheapies that you don't mind throwing or using in art projects, or buying one at a time to see if the crabs will even go for it before mass ordering.

12. deedeeiam

Let's not talk about expense....I bought this really pretty set of shells for bubba - big african turbos things. One of my crabs decided it would make the perfect hiding place and got stuck in the darn thing. I had to chip it away with side cutters to get him free.

13. strawberryskittle

Sure!!! Depending on when you'll be around next, and what size the shells!

I boiled alll my shells recently and I'm trying to decide on the best way to give them a clean dish to have them in so the eco earth does dirty them instantly.

I think I'm going to have to buy another lot of turbos. Of the 100 shells I have, only about 15 are turbos :(((

EDIT: SURE! Lets do dinner regardless of the shell sizes :D

14. Laughs O Lot

Dinner!!! That's so cool!!! I always wanted to meet somebody on this site! Did you two ever meet before?

15. deedeeiam

LoL, no we've never met before. Business trips are boooorrrrring if there's no one to wine and dine in the evenings!

And I have shells of every available size - micro to jumbo.

16. strawberryskittle

Yay! :D Well next time you are going to be around, please do give me a PM and we can try and work something out :)

17. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Where in MD are you located Strawberryskittle? I'm on the Eastern Shore. :)

18. Laughs O Lot

Are any of you by Ocean City? I just went there.

19. strawberryskittle

Sorry, I neglected this post!

I have about 15 to 20 baby shells I think (not sure since Im not home to count) and some other types as well, but I think I'm really interested in turbos for the most part now since both my crabs seem to only like them (I put freshly boiled ones of every type, but they just don't like em!)

I live in the Washington DC area. I'm thinking about buying another bundle of shells, which means I'll have LOADS more! Who knows what I may do with them! :D

We should all get together and do swaps though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.