1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by CoolDoggy10, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Cool, that's going to stress your crabs out a lot. They won't be in their new tanks thinking about how much they miss the other crabs, they'll be grateful for the room and for the privacy they have now. They won't be sitting around going "Hmm, wonder what _____ is doing right now?" Moving them from tank to tank every week will stress them out to the level they were back when they were all in 1 tank, or even to the level they were back in the pet store. Crabs like to have control over when and where they move to, not be moved around all the time into unfamiliar surroundings.

Also, moving crabs from tank to tank (even if it's to ISO them) will make them put off their molts, which, if they need to molt, the buildup of the hormone that makes them put off molting can eventually kill them. That's also why I don't move molters into the ISO if they aren't surface molting - it makes them stop molting until they feel safe in their new surroundings, so why would I do that?

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Yea switching tanks so much not a good idea, as long as crabs have other crabs around they will be happy they dont care WHICH crabs.
    It is too bad you couldnt figure a way to fuse the 2 tanks together to make one big tank.
    like I know our local small hardware store has a glass cutter, he could cut the ends off both tanks and then you could use aquarium silicon to put them together to make a big tank, probably wouldnt be able to move it but it would let you have a 20 gallon tank! lol

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Switching the crabs every week could be stressful. Once ever six months would be okay, but before six months is over you should really get a bigger tank. A ten gallon is even too small for six crabs. A twenty or thirty gallon is what you really need.

4. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

^I think a ten gallon is maximum for 6 if they're all smalls, and that's what Cooldoggy's are, so she's fine for now :D I'm just glad that you got another one. Congratulations. I think they'll be fine if you just put their tanks side by side so they can see each other, then maybe switch them every 2 months or so. After all, they like exploring a new environment, and I think they'd get bored of being in the same tank for a while, so switching them around isn't such a bad idea if you only do it once in a while.

5. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Maybe you could fuse the cages together?

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Sorry if I sounded mean before. :( I didn't even congratulate you!:( It wasn't very nice of me... Well, congrats on your other tank!! :D I'm so glad that you got a new ten gallon! Your crabs are probably so much happier! You should try to add in additional levels in their tank so they can be active and climb around. Six hermies in a ten gallon is okay, but not that great, so levels will give the crabs more space so it won't be crowded. But if you want to get any more crabs, even a tiny, more space is needed. But, two ten gallons are good for now!:)

7. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

It's ok! You didn't sound mean at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.