1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by CoolDoggy10, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

August has been started to being very shy 2 days ago and I know she still alive. Can someone please tell me what happening

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Need more info Before i can tell yo an answer. Whats your tank temp.....ect.?

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

She molted and now she in her shell in the ISO

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

She molted topside?
    Make sure you make the ISO as dark as possible, with good temp and humidity
    Offer good foods rich in Calcium, along with her Exo.
    Some honey, or a whole shrimp shell on would be great too.
    Fresh and salt water.
    Good luck Cool

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

The reason she surface molted is because your crabs don't have enough room to themselves, Cool. Crabs love digging in freshly dug-up substrate for some reason, so if your crabs are overcrowded in your tank, no one can dig in and make themselves a molting burrow because the others are continually digging them up.

With as many crabs as you have, you need at least a 20 gallon tank, if not a 30 depending on how big your crabs are. Your crabs have less than 1 gallon each, and 1 gallon is the absolute minimum space per crab for tiny crabs the size of a dime! So if your crabs are bigger than dimes, they need more room.

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I woke up this morning and went to check on my new molted crab August. So when I look in the tank she wasn't in her shell. I was searching for her and then see her alive in one corner... naked. I took out my book Hermit Crabs for Dummies and it said to rinse out substance on her and the shell, put her in a cup with a couple of shells, put a dark cloth and leave her alone, and that what I did. I was peeking at her and she went in her shell in no time. I'm so happy she's ok!

7. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Is she still in ISO? And what conditions are the ISO tank?

8. emmac350

Cool, we've been telling you that your tanks are causing harm to your crabs, but how much will it take for you to believe us? Crabs shouldn't just be streaking and surface molting, unless they're massively stressed.

Also, I advise you to throw that book away immediately. No book has good info on how to care for crabs - they are several years old at least, and a LOT of new information has come out since they were published that they don't know about. So stop reading in books and look at the most updated stuff, because we find out a lot of new stuff every day sometimes that flies in the face of things we once thought. Just a few years ago, people didn't realize that ethoxyquin was bad for crabs, and when it was first mentioned as a bad thing, everyone was up at arms - of course it couldn't be bad, why, it's in the hermit crab foods! Then it was shown to be bad and suddenly everybody jumped on the "ethoxyquin is bad" boat. So books don't have the right information about how to care for crabs properly.

9. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    I think we have ALL told you many, many times your tank conditioins are not correct. you have an above ground moulting crab, and now streeking? Something is wrong cooldoggy, and you SEE that? now, Dont get the wrong idea. im not trying to be mean, but seriously, after all that you still think your crabs are ok?! No, cooldoggy. They are not. They seriously need more room, and they will thank you for doing just that! please, do your carbs a favor and get a bigger tank. Im sure they will love that.

10. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

Cool doggy, Everyone is right. You need to do right by your crabs. Adopt some out or buy a bigger tank!!

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Why won't you listen to us when we tell you to get a bigger tank? This is not a rhetorical question. I want an answer, please.
    Hermit crabs for dummies is a dummy. The only information about hermit crabs I read was false and extremely untrue. In two paragraphs in one of the books there were about 5 incorrect facts. Unless it was written in 2008 or 2009 the book doesn't contain the important updates and facts in the world of crabbing.
    Please fill out an emergency form for August. I hope she is okay. :(
    Remember to answer the question, though. You always ignore us when we ask you to get a bigger tank.

12. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    Yes. i agree with you laughs. she always ignores everyone, including me. And cooldoggy, please dont ignore the PM i sent you.

13. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Cool you dont have to give me an exact location just tell me, do you live anywhere near Rhode Island?
    I would be willing to foster some of your crabs in my 10 Gallon ISO until you can afford to take care of them and get them a larger tank.

What you are doing to those poor crabs is making me very sad, and you think just because she went back in her shell everything is A-OK, well I have never had a crab streak..it isnt normal behavior for a healthy crab!

Find someone to take some of your excess crabs, or get a bigger tank...like TOMORROW

14. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That was a very nice offer of you cloie! :) But she doesn't live in Rhode Island.

15. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Can I speak (or type)??? Today me and my mom are getting aanother 10g. We are going to split the crabs in groups and switch every month.

16. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

WHehh!
    I'm glad you did, Cool.
    I was afraid people would start a mob if you didn't talk.
    I would just like to note that nobody needs to say anything if they don't want to.
    This place is meant so that people can say what they like, (except personal info.) and don't have to say a thing if they don't have to.
    Perhaps the reason CoolDoggie didn't answer any of these messages was because she was too buisy getting a new cage. :D
    We should think about this before we get too angry. :)
    It doesn't really help.
    I hope you all still consider her a friend,
    and leave the past behind us.

As for CoolDoggie, I would like to congraduate her for getting the new cage! Her crabbies can be happy again, and so can we! :)

17. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

yaaaaaaahoooooooooo Cooldoggy

18. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I got the two tanks side to side with each other on my drawer. I went to Wal*Mart to but the tank and I also got this cute hut too!

19. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

The reason I wasn't talking is that I was sick and wasn't really going on the computer a lot, that why. I'm well now just a little cough here and there.

20. emmac350

Can we see pictures of the new tanks and of the crabs happy in their new homes with lots of room to run around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.