1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASK A SUCCESSFUL hermit crab owner anything!

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by ziptied, Mar 31, 2010.

1. ziptied

ziptied Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello

I have been a successful hermit crab owner for over a year. Ill give you some background info and then you can ask me anything. I got my first hermit crab in Feb of last year when my girlfriend finally convinced me into getting one, and I only had one for more than a few months.

The reason I am making this thread is because I see all the threads with hermit crabs dying and people claiming its post purchase stress, etc, I just want people to ask me questions so their crabs will live longer instead of dying because people can't take care of them. I have 5 hermit crabs, their names are Hermez, Tuesday, Optimus Prime, Stoney, and Eisenhower. Ask me anything about my hermit crab tank or how I care for my crabs; I'm serious.

:thanks:

Here is my setup 75 gallon:
    [img=400x300]http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r334/ziptied240/hermitcrabs/1dea4b37-0c88-4aa3-8693-776dea56405.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x300]http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r334/ziptied240/hermitcrabs/a22f3dd1-e757-405f-87de-adb69c7021a.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x300]http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r334/ziptied240/hermitcrabs/5f9288fc-603e-4973-8a68-a734554ccf6.jpg[/img]

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

What species are they?

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Your tank looks pretty bare - have you considered adding second levels? More foliage and climbing stuff so the crabs can get some exercise? Also, the water bowl with the sponge doesn't look deep enough for the crabs to submerge in. How do you treat your waters? What brand of salt do you use? What do you feed your crabs?

4. ziptied

As far as I know they are all purple pinchers.

I have considered second levels but I think they look trashy. More foilage for sure, but I haven't had money I plan to get a bunch more, More climbing stuff? No I just bought that grapevine wood yesterday $36.99, there is a lot of climbing, they don't really seem like climbers anyways. I have experimented with multiple items and they seemed to like the little brown wood thing a lot, although I do not know what kind of wood it is as I found it in my back yard.
    I don't use sponges because I think they are useless, I haven't had one in a long time and my crabs don't seem to mind. I don't treat the water I just used distilled water jugs, and I use API aquarium salt and have been for 1 year plus with no ill effects, they seems to like it more than freshwater.
    I use t rex crab island food, they like it, also I put some strawberries in there once in awhile. I did put some egg shells in there, but they just pick the food around them and never eat them.

Also you are not gonna convince me to raise my crabs any different, I have done a lot of research and have tried many different things. I just made this thread to give real answers to people from a person who has never had a crab die on them because I actually take care of them.

Ask me anything.

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

That's not really how forums work. See, what happens is someone makes a thread with a question, and different people answer it. Not the other way around where one person makes a thread and other people ask them. Also, you're a new member here. For all we know, you could have all the wrong information, and just saying you researched without researching anywhere. I'm not saying you didn't do any research or whatever, I just don't like how you're acting like you're the only one who takes care of hermit crabs correctly, and you know more than everyone else, when really 1 year isn't that much and other people have probably had more experience than you, keeping all different species and taking advice from other people. Sometimes it is PPS, and there's nothing you can do. But a forum's about everyone sharing their experiences, opinions and answers, and not just hearing from one person.

6. emmac350

I agree with One_Onion. There are quite a few people on here who have been crabbing for much longer than a year with no deaths. Heck, there's a woman who's owned the same two crabs for 33 years. She lives in Florida now, and a lot of people here and at other forums look to her crab care for 'tips.'

As for second levels looking trashy, they'll only look trashy if you make them that way. That's the beauty of it! You should look at some of the tanks in the pictures in the forum, because I wouldn't say that they look trashy.

One other thing - the T-Rex food is not crab-safe. Like most commercial crab foods, it contains Copper sulfate which is known to cause molting deformities and death in crabs. Its main purpose in the food is as a pesticide and preservative...problem is, crabs are susceptible to pesticides due to their close relation to insects. It's got a bunch of other suspicious ingredients (rosemary extract? rosemary has insecticidal qualities...a lot of the metal sulfate combinations...) and besides, it isn't a complete diet. Crabs need more than a commercial food and occasional strawberries. Think about it this way - can you get all of the nutrition you need every day from one food? No, you can't. So why should crabs be forced to eat the same thing every day? If your crabs aren't getting a meat, calcium, fruit, and veggie at a minimum every day, I am extremely surprised that they've lived for a year. I am incredibly impressed that they've made it this far.

7. ziptied

:eek:ops2: i must have said something wrong

Im not trying to be rude.

And that lady with the 33 year old crabs isnt even on this site.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you got off on the wrong foot. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off as rude, but your post seemed a tad rude/arrogant like. But again it's hard to really know when you can't hear a persons tone. A few statements you made could make other members feel like you were being rude, so I suggest that you double check everything before you post and see how it sounds.

Everyone here on this site is a good crabber. We all know there are times when a crab can have PPS and no matter what we do they simply won't make it. It's not the crabbers fault. I've been crabbing for over 5 years and I do not consider myself an expert. There is way too much that we just don't know yet about land hermit crabs.  There's good information out there and bad information. We try to help every crabber that comes on here and asks us for help.

You said you did a lot of research on land hermit crabs, then you should know commercial foods are not encouraged by any up to date site/forum out there. On this forum people post questions and members offer their advice. It's how a forum works and grows. You can always use the search feature on this site to help you obtain the correct information for feeding, tank supplies, etc.

I do offer one bit of advice. If one of the members asks you about your tank, crabs, etc that you please answer all their questions. it can help you/us figure out if there's an issue you have you might not have thought of.

thank you,
    Vicki

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I have had crabs for over 2 years and am still learning more every day. As for a second level look at the 'say cheese' thread page 2 top of page 'new bridge' and tell me it looks trashy. look at all the pictures and tell me they look trashy. Sorry! Besides P.P. live in or near the tropical forest and the tank should look a little woodsy not like a beach like e's. Most of us have a combination.

10. liagiba

liagiba "First Molt In Progress"

hmmm I dont know,  :full:  Start over again. People ARE very nice and knowledgeable in these forums, and although we have members with 20 + crabs, and 5+ years of experience, I mean REAL experience, and most important, they have been part of this forum for a loooong time, they don't express themselves like that.
    You don't sound like someone I would like to take advice from, especially with the diet you provide your hermies... You said "nothing anyone tells you will change the way you take care of them", that is sad. I've changed the way I take care of them since I became a member of this site, and they are doing so much better, color, activity level, etc. You should give the people in this forum some credit, they put a lot of effort and care. Sometimes, deaths are innevitable, I don't think it's because the members don't know how to take care of them. And, usually, when we are in doubt, we ask, and we get very helpful feedback, w/o being judge, just like you did.  :troll:

11. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Keeping them alive for over a year does not equate to keeping them happy and healthy.
    Depth perception can change a lot, but that tank doesn`t look like a 4 foot long 75g. It is very bare with hardly anywhere for the crabs to hide or climb. Pet store plants are pretty expensive, but you can go all out at the dollarstore and get lots of plants there for very cheap. My tank looked like yours the first month I had crabs, then I actually read stuff about them and have since changed it countless times. Also, like many people already mentionned, how is a 2nd level trashy?

For someone who claims to know so much about crabbing, you portray little knowledge and experience with your tank looking like that.

12. ziptied

its probably more like 5 feet in length

should i take my crabs out and put them in a giant plastic Tupperware container to get some exercise?

13. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Five crabs in a 75 gallon tank would provide plenty of exercise for them.  Maybe if you added a few things from the Dollar Tree or Walmart they would have more of a variety and not be so bored.
    As Trixie stated, take a look at how the others have their tanks set up and get a few ideas from them.  Even if you spend just a dollar or two every now and again and place them in the tank as you get them, your Hermies will love it and you'll soon have a nice build up of decorations.  :flower:

14. ziptied

They seem to love it anyways.

15. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

on a positive note, ii love you lego castle! maybe make like lego stairs for them to climb! what kind of substrate do you use?

16. ziptied

the sand is sandstone sand, two 50lbs bags, and on the left is 5 bags worth of trex jungle bed with all the big chunks sifted out

17. emmac350

That T rex bedding...how does it work with your crabs? I'm asking mainly because it has vermiculite in it. Vermiculite is that stuff in potting soil that exists solely to suck up water, so there is the potential that it could dry out your crabs' shell water.

18. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I thought I knew a good deal of hermit crab info. when I read a small care book.
    I was dead wrong. Turns out, most people have no clue on crab care. Good thing we have so many smart people here to give a helping hand.