1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are dyed shell okay

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by shawna236, Sep 1, 2008.

1. shawna236

shawna236 Guest

Hello,
    I just got my first crab a month ago and got a real shock when I went online and saw what hermit crabs actually needed, apposed to  what the cape cod float store said they needed. Well now that I have everything and two more small pps (grumpy, sleepy, and bashful), I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the dyed shells are unsafe, I don't have any mine are all natural from the crabbage patch, but I found some great sized shells at the christmas tree shop and was going to get them but wanted to see if they were safe. Also how many small crabs can you have in a ten gallon tank and how long do I have till they will out grow that sized tank? Anyways this website has been great! I actually found it on all experts after I harrassed every crabber there for answer on crabs and there well being

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

dyed shells is a no no

small to some people are one thing and something else to others........to me 3-4- I am more prone to go under than over as I have learned from years not to overcrowd. I only use 10G for ISO I think they are too small for anything bigger than teenies. They all grow at different rates, some by leaps and bounds and other I look at and wonder what the heck!!!!!

WELCOME ask any questions you may have  :straw:

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

:welcome:

Welcome to the site !

4. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

:madhouse: :pinch: We all like to pinch so please watch out.  J/K Welcome though.  It's good to see you here.

5. shawna236

shawna236 Guest

Thanks for the welcome and letting me know those shells were a no go. I ended up just ordering some more from the naples web site. I just have one more quick question. Do you guys ever have coconut fiber left over from when you clean your tank out. I just changed my sand and mixed the coconut fider like the crabbage patch website said to do, but one brick ,40 pounds of sand and those shells was way to much for a ten gallon tank. I don't want to throw out the excess but I am afraid with it being moist it will get bugs being out in my shed or even in my house and it doesn't fit in my fridge. Just wanted to see if you guys might have any sugestions.
    thanks again

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I make EE up and leave it all ready for months- not wet but moist I never had any problems. That way its ready when you need it in a pinch!

7. shawna236

shawna236 Guest

Thanks, I thats what I was hoping to hear, what do you usually keep it in?

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Gallon zip lock bags- sorry I meant to say that!