1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aqua's Color.....

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by CoolDoggy10, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Aqua has had that pale pink color ever since she surface molted. She ate her exo and it been 2-3 months ever since she molted. I put her in the tank when her body got stronger. Pleasem tell me what to do.....

Thanks
    CoolDoggy10

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Coloring is related to nutrition pre-molt. The more tannins, Astaxanthin, and Zeaxanthin (the last two are very helpful both for coloring and regulating body functions, the first is just coloring) a crab gets, the darker he/she will be after molting. If your crabs get daily doses of healthy, non-commercial diets full of naturally coloring foods like crab-safe flowers, fruits, veggies, and Zeax/Astax containing foods (I supplement my crabs with Astax powder from the Addiction store, and the Hermit Crab Cuisine site has a list of foods with Zeax in them), they will get darker than before after molting. If they don't get enough of them, they will be paler. Some crabs will naturally be darker or lighter in coloring in general, but if they get paler with each molt, it's a sign that they aren't getting all of what they need in their diet. I have one crab who's always been a pale pink/orange color, but I know he's getting the right foods because he's pale pink/orange but now has light purple stripes (generally happens after eating good amounts of Astaxanthin before molts in my experience) down his legs.

Try feeding dried shrimp, krill, plankton regularly, along with a regular supply of red peppers, carrots, and corn, plus brightly colored fruits and see if it helps...you probably won't notice anything until the next molt though.

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Aqua been the same color ever since her molt.

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Emma is trying to tell you that the food we feed our crabs affects the color of their EXO
    So when she was in the wild she was eating things that give them their nice red color, Well she shed her "wild" exo and now has her "captivity" clothes on that are not as bright because they things that give her color are not being offered to her ;) Offer some of the things that Emma suggested maybe she will redden up a bit!
    What is the normal diet that you give your crabs daily?

5. emmac350

Crabs can't change colors really between molts...once they harden up, they'll be that color until they start getting premolty and they can appear lighter in color. So Aqua's color won't change until her next molt. But if you feed her the foods I mentioned, her color after her next molt should be darker. She didn't get enough of the natural colorants between her last two molts, so her exo now that she was making then isn't as bright.

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I give them apples, bannanna's, lettuce (anything I can find in the house).

7. emmac350

They need more than just fruits and lettuce, hon. Aggression will start to come into play if you don't get them some meat and calcium as soon as you can. Ask your mom if she will save you a small piece of the meat she's making for dinner every night (or a few pieces so you can freeze the rest for the next time you aren't having crab-safe food) for the crabs so they will be more healthy. Also, when she's chopping veggies, save the pieces she cuts off - carrot peelings, potato peelings, celery leaves (a surprising favorite for my guys), the guts of peppers (not the seeds, but any extra colored pieces), etc. You can freeze things you get a bunch of (i.e. carrot peelings) in Ziploc bags so you can use them later. If she ever uses an egg, ask if you can have the shell. Rinse it out and microwave it for 15 seconds or so to kill any germs on it and then you can give them a piece or two every day for calcium. It's really easy to feed crabs out of a kitchen if you swoop in and get the pieces when food prep is happening. Between peelings and cutting off pieces that aren't as good looking (potato brown spots, or brown spots on a piece of fruit), you can get a really varied diet without having to spend extra money.

If you go to a pet store, ask if she can buy you a small jar of freeze dried shrimp (they're in the fish food section) too - those are a big hit with crabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.