1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aquarium Store Crabitat

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by alyssa9801, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alyssa9801

alyssa9801 Hi, I'm New Here!

i am new to taking care of hermit crabs. I adopted a couple for my daughter (they were really for me, since she is only three, but i can justify expenses when it is for my daughter :)) while down the ocean in june and have been trying to learn as much as I can about them.
    i am up to five hermit crabs and have them in a 10 gallon aquarium, with half sand on the bottom and half of that coconut fiber stuff and i keep adding things for them to climb on.
    anyways, my real point is i was wondering about the set up at the aquarium store i visited today, where i normally buy supplies for my fish tank.
    I have never seen a hermit crab set up like this
    the cage was about 4 feet high with lots of plants and branches to climb on, however the entire bottom of the cage was actually about 1 inch of water with lots of extra shells in it. There was no sand or gravel or any other substrate at the bottom.
    This seems like an odd set up to me, with the little bit of hermit crab knowledge that i have. it really surprises me because they really do have lots of knowledge about the fish and take excellent care of them so I would presume they know what they are doing with the crabs. they had lots of medium and large crabs which seemed quite active in the crabitat.
    i was wondering what you all though of this set up?

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

A cage with water on the bottom ?:eek:

You will see that many pet stores do not have a clue as to how to take care of hermit crabs. Most of the stores I have been to use gravel.

No, I would not trust them to know much about hermies, which is a shame. :(

3. Frogs_n_Flowers

Frogs_n_Flowers "Preparing For First Molt"

Wouldn't all that water make there shells... well I guess.....water logged? ya know tender and smooshy. That is so sad. Maybe next time you go in there alyssa you could recommend them to use some sand. I'm sure they wont care but at least it's worth a shot.

4. alyssa9801

alyssa9801 Hi, I'm New Here!

i think i will talk to them next time, and ask about the crabitat. I have been going there for a year and really liked the place because hey seem to really care about all the fish that they have and had a lot of knowledge about them. There are always a ton of people working there, just helping to maintain the tanks and answer questions. Is there some sort of hermit crab care fact sheet somewhere that I could take them?

5. WizKidsMom

The shells were from critters who lived at the ocean bottom... The shells wouldn't get smooshy, but the hermies would.

6. Frogs_n_Flowers

Frogs_n_Flowers "Preparing For First Molt"

LOL thats what I meant to say, sorry Yeah the hermies would get smooshy.

7. WizKidsMom

I have one - but it came from another forum. If you PM me with your email address, I'll send it to you. ;)

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

There are two general categories of hermit crabs: land hermit crabs and marine hermit crabs. I would inquire which the store has in that tank. If they don't know, then that's a problem! The key here is that land hermit crabs spend the majority of their time on LAND and only go to the water to bathe and drink. Marine hermit crabs spend the majority of their time in the WATER. If you PM me I can give you direction to a great care sheet. It is on another website and I don't want to offend anyone by posting that info on HCRU.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.