1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aqua skin

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by CoolDoggy10, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Aqua stopped on her molting(sorry I didn't tell you guys) so yesterday all night long she did a surface molt and now she has her old skin skin in her shell but you can see the new skin. Do crabs just somehow tear out there old skin then eat or I have to do this. Please help!

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Don't touch him and he'll probably be fine. It's not like people go out into the wild and tear off hermit crabs' skin when they molt. :) But a surface molt isn't good news. Something you're doing is wrong if she chooses to surface molt. Double check your humidity/temp/sand moisture/sand depth and iso her into a bowl within the tank with her exo or something. Also feed her calcium-rich foods like organic peanut butter and unsalted peanuts

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Everything in the tank is normal. But it is so weird that she surface moted in -12 hours. Oh well. Right now she almost done taking the old skin out. Thank OneOnion!

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Crabs shed their exoskeleton to grow, so by instinct they know how to exit their old "skin" and let their new one harden. Here is what Hermez wrote on her website in the section on molting:

Surface molts are a fright.........you look in the tank and there amongst all their friends and enemies they are laying in their most vulnerable state. Carefully get the crab out of the tank and immediately into an ISO tank. I like X large clam shells- they keep the sand off the wet crab and provide a good surface for them to recover. Once in ISO just provide heat and warmth and maybe a small shell of honey and spirulina ALONG with their EXO- they definately need the exo to eat. Many people throw it away not knowing. Cover the tank to make a cave like atmosphere. Try NOT to check on the crab but once every other day and do so carefully, some crabs take a day or 2 to start eating, some start immediately. You will see the crab darken as it gets harder- that is suppose to happen. Once the crab is up and moving on its own then you can put it back in the main tank.
    Don't forget to put in the water too. She has some cool pics of a surface molt in the molting section too.

Good luck and be patient...:)

5. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Mckenney she did her molt already. thanks for the info so I can do my next molt(since I lost my book Hermit Crab For Duumies)!

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

7. Mckenny

I thought you said she has molted already?

8. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

I think He/She may be confused or uncertain if it molted or not.

9. Mckenny

Yes that's what I thought as well. Hopefully if it is molting, she has removed it to an isolation tank as Hermez outlined.

10. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Aqua is not molting. She in her shell, not eating her Exo skeleton. so i'm going to see tomorrow.

11. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Uhm, Im confused. You said Aqua isn't molting... or is? If not, then there isn't an exo TO eat?

It sounds to me like you might be a bit confused about the molting procedure. As for surface molts, there's a video on youtube of a crab actually in the progress of doing a surface molt...

With that said, please have you tried to get a larger tank and deeper substrate to accomodate, in case Aqua DID try to molt or is trying to or...something...

12. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Aqua is not molting. I am wanting her to eat her exo so she be back in her original tank and get her skin back to normal.

13. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

My advice would to be to just leave Aqua be for now. Touching her, moving her, etc. will cause her tremendous stress right now.

If she is still in the tank with the other crablings, I would maybe put a coconut hut over her to keep her protected AND to give her some privacy.

Although I've never had to deal with a surface molt, I hear it's a nightmare :eek:

If your subtrate is sand, is it moist enough for the crab to dig a hole to molt in? If the sand is dry, it can collapse in on them and they may never get out.

I hope this helps, good luck with your molt :)

14. Mckenny

Ummm, if Aqua isn't molting, then whose exo is she supposedly eating? :D

15. OneOnion

Molting is the whole process of shedding the exo and eating it. I think cooldoggy got confused and meant to say Aqua molted but did not eat her exo yet.:D

16. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

If thats the case I would ISO aqua ASAP. You dont want the other guys to attack him for his exo or anything like that.

17. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

One onion is right. Today I look at her in the afternoon and see her body completely out. So I thought she was dead so I called my mom to tell her the bad news and then I saw her big claw and that what hit me "she molted"!

18. OneOnion

Yup. its sad because many crabs die like that. Their owners think they die but they are actually molting. Good thing you found out!

19. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

The entire thing should be one process I think. Aqua needs that exo, and protection, you got a lot of crabs, and you may or may not see one of them get aggressive. Did you ISO? Can't tell from the posts

20. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That happened to Sherb. She surface molted on the food dish! You should definitely put her in ISO and don't handle her. When you put her in ISO pick her up with some dirt so she doesn't get stressed. Put her in with her old skin, some food for calcium and strength (honey, cuttlebone, cracked egg shells, shrimp exo) and put a big hidey hut over her so she has privacy. Also, please fill out the emergency questionnaire so we know if you can improve anything so this won't happen again.
    Good luck with Aqua! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.