1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone got a turtle or tortoises

Discussion in 'Caribbean Vacation - COL (Chirping Out Loud).' started by ashleigh, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

cause I'm not getting anymore crabs [​IMG] they are to hard to keep alive.I only have 5 left so I'm down sizing tanks. soo I will have a six foot tank just sitting there so I asked my mum and step dad if I can get a snake or a rat or mouse but no way no how but she said yes to a turtle or tortoises . and if anyone has any or had any I need some help with care , what I need to get, foods and heating ??????
    what I need to know stuff and if anyone would like to help? the would be great [​IMG]

2. HermitDude

HermitDude "Never Molted"

Hey,
    If you are having probs keeping crabs alive i wouldnt try a turtle they are a lot more work then people think and a tort is even more work then a turtle i have 5 turtles rite now and a ton of other animals and let me tell u from experience its a lot of work. A full grown red eared slider can grow to 11 inches which will need a 120 gallon tank a good filter, heater, basking area, uv, uvb,uva lighting and they need a very varied diet. A lot of turtles have shell problems i have had quite a few i have rescued that have had shell rot and not made it. So if you do i would educate your self a LOT more they are not as easy as their rep. But if u do decide to let me know and i will help you. Caleb ps i have 3 box turtles 1 florida red belly and a red eared slider.

3. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

I know they are hard to keep alive but my crabs died from bad molts and crab cost alot of money to buy.I will to pay for what ever a turtle would need and take on holidays.Iam good with animals but not molting crabs.

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

I have kept turtles in the past, red-ear sliders to be exact. They make great pets and are easy to care for. They do produce a lot of waste thou but with the right filtration system you should be fine. They now have filters built to deal with the waste turtles produce. Might be worth looking into if you are really interested in getting turtles. The red-ear sliders are one of the easiest turtles to care for so are great for beginners.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.