1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on crushed english walnut shell substrate?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by bonechickchris@aol.com, Sep 8, 2012.

1. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

Hi everyone,

First off, I must apologize for not being to the forum in a while due to a bunch of family stuff. However, I still have my hermies!

I noticed something new at the pet store (I guess not really new, but new to me) a reptile dessert substrate made out of crushed English walnut shells. I was surprised, because I would of never guessed it was walnut shells because they were so light in weight, and did not look to be sharp as you would think a crushed shell would be. Maybe an English walnut has a softer shell or something?

It actually seemed quite appealing to me. It says on the bag it is good because it does not have dust particles to inhale which some reptiles are very sensitive to.

It just looks like it would be a nice light substrate that would be good for them to get into, and a whole less messy to use. And it looks like it is not too fine to be agitating to get into their shells such as sand can do at times.

So, I really would love to try it out. I have not seen it on any do not use substrate lists, but also have not seem much about it regarding hermit crabs, so I thought I would check will you all first to see if any of you have tried it.

I like EE the best so far, but would love if I could use this walnut bedding.

Thanks again! Christy

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hey there 'bonechickchris, welcome back!
    Glad to hear you still have your crabbies.

I've not heard anything about the crushed walnut shells.
    I suppose my main questions would be how it does when wet?
    Does it cake inside the shell and then harden when dry?
    How is it processed--is it toxin free?

I'll try to see if I can find out anything, AND, if any of the members have heard anything about it, please let us know.
    [align=center]::crab1[/align][align=center][/align]

3. bonechickchris@aol.com

Hi Jellybean!

Thanks for posting!

Although I see others make it, I would be using the Zilla brand since they are a reptile company. Here is a link to it at Petsmart

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752164

I did not buy it yet, so I could not touch it outside of the bag. But touching the bag, it is very light. I do not know how to explain it, but looking at it, it is not what you would think crushed shells would look like. They pieces are pretty much all the same size and uniform with one another in size. Pieces do not seem to have any points or sharpeness like you would think a shell particle would be. Like I said, it is hard to explain in words for me. It is almost like "puffy" in a way.

It is also odor and dust free. They also say it does not scratch cages at all, so they have put emphasize on its softeness factor.

It does not seem to be something that would break down or cake, but then again, I do not know. It may be just worth to buy a bag and do some experimenting. If I do buy it, I would be glad to send you some Jellybean so you can perform a test too! LOL!

It liked it because of the weight, and because it seems like it would not be messy or sticky. Like with sand and EE, the hermies always have it stuck on them at some point. This seems it would be less sticky. Or at least by the looks of it anyway and it being dust free.

This may be something to experiment with at least,,.,,
    [hr]
    I would say for size, it almost reminds me of the size of grapenut cereal? LOL!

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you Chris...I posted what I could find out about the substrate, but unfortunatly couldn't find anything specific about Hermit Crabs using it.
    I myself would use caution and keep close observation of your hermies if you decide to try it. Let us know how it is if you decide to give it a try.

My post about it can be found in Crab Care "English Walnut Substrate (crushed)"

5. bonechickchris@aol.com

No problem!

Actually, I went back to another store, and I do not know if the 2 stores were different, or if my memory was off, but when I checked the shell substrate out again more closely, it was not as big as GrapeNuts in this package. It was more smaller. More like very small flat smooth pieces.
    I guess at this point, I will just have to try it since it seems not many have tried it. It does say it contains heat very well, so I do not know if that would make humidity harder to keep in control or not.

If I buy a bag, I would be happy to send you some to experiment with. You may look at it and not like it from the beggining, so who knows!
    I did just deep clean my tank and just used EE without experimenting yet.
    thanks again for the help! I will let you know when I pick a bag up. :banana: