1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Combo Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by kissmeimgone, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Hey guys, I was just wondering if ya'll would be willing to give me combo suggestions. Here's a list of the foods I have: FD -- freeze-dried
    applesauce
    carrot puree
    banana puree
    sweet potato baby food
    squash baby food
    sweet pea baby food
    banana and berries baby food
    bananas and pears baby food
    strawberries FD
    bananas FD
    PINEAPPLE FD
    mangos FD

Thanks ^.^

2. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

What I would do is freeze them in a ziplock baggie flat so you can break it easily and just put a few chunks of some in there each night. Crabs don't care what they eat as long as they eat. I wouldn't mix anything together just add a frozen chunk of a few of them each night. Maybe a fruit with a veggie or something like that and then some dried stuff.

3. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

yeah thats what i usually do, freeze the stuff in little ice cube trays

4. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

Question:
    Im in Melb Australia and weather here can change so quick. One day its very hot, the next your sitting in front of a heater (like I am now lol).
    So is it ok to use the ice blocks no matter if its a cool or a hot day.

Also do you give them a block with small mix of other food or is a block on its own ok.
    And Im guessing that you dont give them a block everyday.

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

You want to alternate the foods you give them, and give them a variety every day.
    Also, if a food has bananas in it, you won't want to give them another with bananas in it the next day, hermies will not eat a food they've eaten/smelled in the past 14-24 hours, sometimes longer.

It is fine to give them frozen foods (the bits should be small) as long as you are keeping their tank temperature stable and within safe ranges for the hermies, as it should thaw rather quickly in those temperatures.

Are those the only foods you feed your hermies?

6. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

At the monemt I dont have any hermies, I want to get everything I need and set up the tank before I get them.
    Im just asking as many questions as I can about thier diet, whats best to feed them and whats not.
    Ive been taking notes but it is always best to talk with other hermie owners.
    So when I read that you can give them small amounts of any ice block< I just had to ask as I havent found a website with that information.
    I want to give them the very best diet I can son any more tips would be great. :)

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

What do you already have that you plan to feed them, or plan to pick up?
    It's important to have rich protein, calcium, chitin and cellulose sources.
    Cholla wood and cork bark provide cellulose and chitin, and I've also noticed my hermies munching on my home made cocohuts. Just be sure you boil the shells before placing in the tank if you make your own cocohuts.

Seaweeds like kelp, spirulina, and bladderwrack are essential, as well as providing protein like krill (can be found frozen at pet stores), silversides, shrimp with the shell and tail still on.

Any fresh fruits or veggies should be organic, if not, make sure to wash them thoroughly to be sure there are no pesticides, as hermies are very sensitive to pesticides.

Here is a link to research - don't be intimidated, just look through (you have to scroll down, the page appears blank at first) and absorb what you can.
    crabstreetjournal.com - Hermit Crab Nutrition - Diet - News & Articles

A good link to book mark when you have a question about the safety of some foods or what they are good for: Hermit Crab Cuisine

Do try to stay away from commercial foods as most contain a perservative that is toxic to hermies. It is used in the making of pesticides, and hermies are close relatives of insects. Over time, this preservative can kill them or make them sick. Best to just supplement their diet with the foods they need.

Hope this helped!

8. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

Thanks Crabbyjo.
    Im staying right away from commercial food.

Ive written a list of what they can and cant have. Also what to give them right after a molt (didnt know they can eat egg shells or cuttlefish)

Ive also read that they can have crickets, raw and cooked meat (unseasoned).
    I know they cant have things like garlic, onions and table salt.

The more I read about these little guys, the more amazed I get.

9. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Also go to Forum and click on Vicki's sticky on "Food, Treats and Home recipes" to find out what your crabs can eat. You can check out her store too to see what combo's she uses (hermitcrabaddiction.net).

I freeze some of my food too, but I always thaw it out in the microwave before giving it to my hermies. Depending on how many you will have, keep in mind that they are nibblers and don't eat large portions. Most of the time you will have food left over. I change my food dish every night unless it's something really smelly or something that can spoil, then I take that particular thing out the next morning.

It's like Crabbyjo said, they like variety and "don't" like having the same thing any time soon, except for cuttlebone which I keep in the dish at all times. They are such spoiled-rotten little buggers!:D

10. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Woah! You make your own cocohuts? How do you do that?
    Do bananas have do be organic as long as you don't give them the peel?

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I suppose regular non -organic bananas are ok, but I just don't know how much of the pesticides get absorbed into the fruit itself. I find organic are only 20 cents a pound more, and that's no biggie for me, so I just go that way.
    To make your own cocohuts, it helps to have a small saw like a jigsaw I suppose, to cut the opening in it. I just took a coconut that I'd bought at the store, hit it with a hammer like it was suggested to break it in half, and one of the halves had a nice curve in it that acted like a wide, short door. The other half broke in half itself, so I use them like little half cocohut hideys :) If I had a jigsaw, I'd cut doorways in one. :)

The crabs love the fresh coconut meat, by the way, and you can put a little dish of the coconut milk in the tank for a day for them. Just take it out the next day, it can grow mold quickly. Give them the white meat along with the brown skin on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.