1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANTS! in my tank!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by scoobdoo, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I went to get the food bowl and it was covered in ants! I took it out, wiped the trail from the glass, there are still ants in the tank! any ideas on how to kill them with out taking all the e.e. out the 55 gall tank and not hurt the crabs? I was wondering why they weren't being very active as of late, now I think I know why! do you think spraying with salt water will kill them?

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I dont know but I have never had a bug problem and I think its cause I use 50-50 fresh and salt water to mix my ee. Try spraying salt water in there. It cant hurt.

3. scoobdoo

so far, after I found my cats bowl invaded with ants to, and it's close by the crab tank.. I moved everything around it sprayed the crap out of the trail, waited a bit then wiped the trail up and sprayed it again with a dif spray, took all the food out of the crab tank, sprayed it really good with salty water of theirs, & mixed it up I feed them at night, leave the food in like 4 hours usually they come down to eat, if they didn't then it comes out, sorry charlie! when I get up I will try again, then they will come down I will leave it in for another 4 hours then take it out, so far I haven't seen any more ants. the food I take & put in a baggie so I don't waste it if it's dry stuff, meat I toss.

4. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I know this is a two month old post but I have a tip for all crawling type bugs invading your crabitat. Smear some petroleum jelly along the rim of the tank, bugs will get stuck and not go in.

5. scoobdoo

I ended up taking all my e e out they invaded my tank big time! I made sure I rinsed all & every little thing even decorations they have crawled up in them to! Then I went to sand, and I did the p. jelly for a month and laid ant traps all around my tank, with the sticky paper taped to the back of back, I went all out! after about 3 o months I wiped the goop away, there were some ants on the jelly but a lot on the sticky stuff. So far I haven't seen any in the sand, now I have the dang gnats and flies cause everyone is giving us fresh veggies and the house is shut up w the air on. I have a sticky TOM CAT brand bug catcher side ways duct taped to the top of my tank on the inside out of the reach of the crabs by the light where they buzz at night, to catch them all. he crabs were getting where thry were not moving at all from their spots. I don't know about you all but my crabs if there is something not right in the tank, something different, they will not move. after the bugs are gone then they are fine and back to normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.