1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another newbie

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Crab Crazy, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crab Crazy

Crab Crazy Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi all, Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading all the threads and this seems like a real friendly place with lots of knowledgable people. I am a stay at home mom who has always been obsessed with little critters. I decided to get some hermit crabs for the kids and I am actually the one becoming obsessed with them. I have four little crabs that I believe are purple pinchers. I am on the lookout for other species but so far have not seen any available. I am having a great time setting up their tank and adding new elements as I find them. I do have one question about heating. The temp is fine now but I know as the colder weather approaches I will need to get a tank heater. I have been looking into the pad type ones that stick to the outside of the tank. Is it better to place on the side or bottom of the tank. If it is on the bottom will it actually heat through the substrate? Thank you , Heather

2. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Welcome to HCRU!I need to get one (Uth) I don't have one yet but,I belive the bottom of the tank that way it heats the sand.Not real sure though???Make sure your hermies do not just stay on the side were the heat pad is hopefully they walk all over the place & do not just lay about on that side.(Not sure on that either.)Lol.Wait till you get some other opions first.:)

3. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have one on each side of the tank and alternate which one is on throughout the day to give them a cool side and a warm side; however, I know a lot of people prefer the under-tank method. I have not had any problems with the side method! Welcome, Enjoy, and Good Luck!!!

4. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Welcome to HCRU!

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WELCOME we are glad to have you here!

6. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

Under the tank is the best place for an UTH because heat rises and it does heat the substrate. You will know it is being heated when condensation builds above the pad along the tank walls around the pads location.

However an UTH (from what i have experianced) doesnt do much for crabitat air temperature, It only seems to regulate the substrate it is touching to a degree. This also depends on how much substrate you have.

Keep your tank away from windows and you should be fine in the winter with the air of an UTH keeping substrate warm. Most houses are around 70 degrees in the winter with standard heating on which is ideal for a crabitat, And crabitats are generally hotter than the actual room based on the light and humidity.

If you do notice your tank is getting cold though you can always wrap it with blankets to maintain the heat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.