1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another newbie crabber with questions =)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by lisajulia, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisajulia

lisajulia Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi Everyone!
    I am a new 'mom' to a couple hermies and I am searching for a good FAQ that details the 'typical' day in the life of a NEWLY adopted hermie. I am seeing varying info on what is safe in the crabitat and what isn't. I know I read somewhere that calci sand was good...and then I read it is not...I read moss is good..then I read only a certain kind is good...so I am starting to get overwhelmed and confused....do I take them out to play and for walks when I first get them? Do I put them in the food dish so they know where it is or do I just let them find it? Are they supposed to eat and drink every day when you first get them or is it normal for them to hide and not touch the food at all?...and if so should I just leave them alone completely?
    Okay..sorry for the barage of questions but I just want to make sure I have all the right things.:D
    fwiw, I have been a saltwater reefkeeper and freshwater aquarist for many years. Hermies seem to be a natural progression...I also have 3 adopted yellow labs, a wonderful hubby and a 4.5 yo daughter..so the hermies are for her as well as for hubby and I.

2. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

You should not take your crabs out or handle them during the first month you have them as they are going through a very stressful time. As for the calci sand...I don't know if it's "bad", but it gets clumply and smells when damp (which will happen if your humidity is high enough). So, I use regular sand and then just make sure I provide calcium in their food through crushed cuttlebone, calcium powder, or crushed oyster shell. Don't worry about the food and water dishes, they'll find them just like they find food and water in the wild. I don't know much about moss b/c I don't use any; so, I can't answer that one. Another piece of advice...don't use the commercial "hermit crab" foods. Check out epicureanhermit.com - Home for great info on feeding your crabs. Keep the temp and humidity up (I keep both at 75). Provide a dish of dechlorinated fresh water and a dish of dechlorinated salt water. Ok, that's all the tips I can think of right now!!! Good luck and Enjoy!!!!!!!!

3. lisajulia

Thank you for responding! I have all the things you mention...saltwater (which is easy as I keep fresh saltwater mixed up because of my fish tanks) and I have been offering mostly organic, natural foods...from each food group...cooked egg yolk, chicken, honey..etc...so far they seem to just like the moss and the coco bark if anything at all...thank you again!

4. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

If you crabs are eating at all within the first month you are lucky. My crabs were active for about 6 hours all at diffrent times for the first month, And all 3 are burrowed right now. Also even if they do eat you may not notice it unless you actully see them eating because they eat such small amounts.

Remember that they are nocturnal and even more so during their destressing period so you may not see them at all for 1 - 2 months and you may just have a tank of dirt.

You want to have a substrate level of at least 2 times the size of your largest crab so they can dig burrows to destress, molt, play, or to just keep warmer / cooler more or less hydrated and so on. (depending on the conditions of your tank).

Moss is good for humidity but you need the proper kind and yes they also like to eat and dig in it but it should be sprayed with salt water with a mister bottle to prevent mold growth as well as the rest of your tank every few days.

You don't need to put them in the fooddish as long as you offer "Smelly foods" They have a great sense of smell via their antenne and the stinkier the better. If you do fresh fruit it is actully better to leave that in an extra day as it decays because they do enjoy decaying matter.

Hmmm I think thats about everything you asked!

5. lisajulia

Thank you! Sadly 2 of the 3 passed away...I think the 3rd one is soon to follow. Parameters in the crabitat are on target. I am so upset I couldn't save them from PPS. I saw no movement whatsoever and finally lifted two of them up to check on them. Both were dead. The third is quite listless.
    On the bright side, 3 hermies from a much more reliable source are thriving. They chirp, eat like pigs, drink from both the fw and sw pools and seem to enjoy being in a 'club med' environment the last couple of weeks. They seem to favor organic peanut butter and ripe banana.

It is very hard to accept the loss of the original hermies, but hopefully they died in a happier environment than the open 'cage' in the VA Beach tourist trap from where they came.
    Thanks again for everyone's support!

6. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

I'm sorry for your losses.But,it happens to us all one day.:( I have only one hermie die. (R.I.P.Herbie)Out of 7.

7. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

Sorry about your hermies! But I hope you dont' give up! and I don't agree with not playing with your hermies when you first get them.. at least not tot the same extent. Every hermie is different! I got all my hermies (10) except for my 1 all the same week. 2 of them are currently molting and they are small so hopefully it doesn't take long! However the rest of my crabs I play with for (or watch) as long as I want. Grant it its not extremely long but a bit every crab! Good LUck! HOpe this helps!

8. newcrabber

newcrabber "Never Molted"

As per my name I don't know much, however it is very confusing to read all of the conflicting advice when you just want some straight answers. All of the books and care sheets and online sites say DO NOT TOUCH them for 1 month. I followed that to a tee. I have not lost any yet and it has been 2 months. At least I don't think I have. 4 I have seen in the last 2 days, one tiny one has been burried for about 1 month. I think I will have to go looking for him soon, but don't know when. Maybe I will wait another month, I guess it won't hurt any at this point. He is either OK or not.

9. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Hi. Welcome to Hermit Crabs R us.Com~!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.