1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new guy with some questions :]

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Dillon, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi ^^ well, im new here of course :eek: i just got my first 2 hermit crabs a few weeks ago named Nemo and Spongebob. They were named this because of the decorations on their shells. I think they have been fine so far. I have been reading up on Hermit Crabs and im very interested in having them ^^ Spongebob, I would assume is the older of the two because he is much larger than Nemo. He is also very active, and i have been playing with him every night ^^ Nemo just recently molted so i couldnt play as much with him. Im worried about him however because he doesnt seem to be eatting much. He ate a little bit of his shell, but i seen that Spongebob was also eatting it. I wanted to seperate them, but the other tank i have isnt currently able to house any crabs because, well.. nothing is in it @.@ i am working on fixing that however. They have also seemed to develop nats.. which would be the result of me giving them crackers because they had ran out of Hermit Crab pet food which my mom has neglected to take me to go get D: We are going today though :3 it would be greatly apprieciated if someone could give me advice on how to get rid of the nats :D ty ^^

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

If you go to the FAQ, you can read advice on how to get rid of the little brown mites that seem to have infested your hermies.

Hope this helped:):):)

3. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    Cermercial food is like a death sencence.....Please dont feed it to your hermies....give them fresh food...Why dont you look at the safe and unsafe food lists?0128

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You need to do something to keep Spongebob from eating Nemo's exo. Do you have any picture frames whose glass you could borrow for separating them? It works like a charm and will protect Nemo and his exo. I'm mostly worried because crabs start eating with the softest parts and work their way to the harder ones - if Spongebob has been eating Nemo's exo, then all the soft parts are gone and he'll have trouble eating it until he gets harder.

If you have an exo stealer, it means they haven't had proper nutrition. There's a lot more to feeding crabs than commercial (pet-store bought) crab pellets or flakes. Here's an outline of the basic (easiest to get from your own kitchen) foods that crabs need to have daily if they're going to live beyond a few months (the ones in parentheses aren't as essential and if you can't offer them, it's not as big a deal because you can make up the nutritional content with the other food groups):

(1. Flowers - these contain coloring compounds to help your crabs maintain their nice exo colors as well as being vitamin- and mineral-high; I use these flowers: calendula, blue violet, blue malva, chamomile, hibiscus, rose, chickweed, cornflowers, honeysuckle, jasmine, rose, and sunflowers.)

2. Cellulose - keep in mind that when you give them cellulose that they will also supplement their diets with cellulose in their tank - tearing apart cocohuts, cholla logs, etc.; oak/maple leaves, dandelion root/leaves, raspberry plant leaves, mangrove and red root pieces, etc. I know my crabs have been tearing apart my cholla because I took it out to clean the tank and the base of it was surrounding with crab poo! So they do eat that if offered. I also offer them pieces of sterilized sponge occasionally.

3. Fruits - fresh or dried fruit. Try to stick to organic if you can as it's generally better for them (less risk of getting sick from pesticides). If you offer commercial dried fruit you should ensure that there are no preservatives at all as most of these can be harmful to your crabs. These are important for the vitamins and minerals in them as well as the coloring compounds. I offer coconut (dried), pineapple (dried and pieces of fresh made from the outside pieces with flesh on them; a byproduct of cutting a fresh pineapple), apples (dried and fresh), bananas (I have a mushy brown one in the freezer that I cut pieces off as well as a dried one), cranberries (dried), raisins (no preservatives), grapes (fresh), strawberries (fresh and dried), orange (dried), mango (fresh and dried), etc. This is the easiest food group to give them as they are usually readily available in your house.

4. Seaweed/algae - these provide very important vitamins and minerals for your crab. These are part of their natural diet and thus are important to offer. I offer spirulina powder, algae crisps, sea lettuce, and kelp. I know other people offer actual food grade seaweed as well.

(5. "Other nutritional stuff" - this is where I put things that provide some of the trace minerals required by our crabs. Worm castings, salt (ensure it's a safe salt for the crabs; I use the ones on the addiction site), etc.)

6. Nuts/grains - these contain important oils and nutrients for crabs. I have walnuts, almonds, pecans, peanuts, Macademia nuts, pumpkin seeds, 9 grain cereal, 7 grain oatmeal, soynuts, flaxseed, psyllium seeds. Ensure that these are non-salted, non-flavored nuts. If your mom has any that are meant for baking, they're what you need.

7. Veggies - peppers, green beans (unseasoned), squashes, tomato, celery leaves, etc. I guess I could combine this group with cellulose, but these do provide some extra vitamins and minerals for your crabs. No onions or garlic.

(8. Chitin/calcium-providing protein - these are freeze-dried shrimp, (dried or dead) bloodworms, (dried or dead) mealworms, (dead) crickets, silkworms, etc. Chitin helps them harden exos properly and prepares them for/helps recover from a molt.)

9. Other protein - eggs (hard boiled, powdered), dried silversides, sardines (in spring water), preservative free fish flakes (like bonito or dulse flakes), dried octopus or squid (found at the addiction store), any meats your mom is cooking (ask her to cut you off a piece before she seasons it, and cook it in the microwave for about 15 seconds). This should help prevent the exo-stealing.

10. Calcium - eggshells, crushed coral, calcisand, etc. This will also prevent Spongebob from stealing Nemo's exo.

Treats - bee products, peanut butter (organic/natural), organic noodles, cheese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.