1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another molt already???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by DaisyCrab, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

My one crab just came up from a molt shortly after christmas. Everything seemingly went fine, he looks great.
    Anyway, I'm noticing that he's been hiding in his shell now, and he's VERY inactive, which is not like him. He's also been digging alot, but only stays down for a few hours at a time. He's small-medium sized.
    Could he be getting ready for another molt?

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

could be - or he is having a hard time coming out of this molt.........offer more fresh fruits and proteins now

3. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

My crabs have been doing the same thing. My Spooky stays buried all the time, but he molted just before Christmas. He is also my shyest crab. My other new molter is up and active.

4. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

i have a straw that molted and was attacked after, leaving her ripped out of her shell, and with 2 legs gone on the big pincher side. shes fine now but im waiting for her to molt again to grow her legs back. i think molts have to be a certain length of time apart.

5. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

That sounds horrific. I wonder what it feels like to be a hermit crab, trying to molt when all of a sudden, someone attacks you. >__>...

6. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have a few crabs that after moulting successfully, show their faces for a few days, as if saying "catch these gorgeous nails", eat and then go back down for weeks at a time. These crabs range from small to large small. Right now, in a tank of 19, four crabs, all PPs, are doing this and I have no idea why. Does anyone else have this situation?

I'm thinking of putting them in a separate tank so I have more room for the ones that stay up

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

One of my smalls, Flash came up from the bottom and had all the signs of recently molting, but he reburied himself and I haven't seen him since before I added all the new items to my crabitat. Two of my crabs that I am 100% sure molted are on top and active....my tiny Herbie was also down for awhile and is now back up and active, so he was either destressing or molted as well. Hercules is down and has been down for a couple of weeks. Rocky is also MIA.
    It is frustrating when they molt and go right back down again. I think some of them just prefer the security and privacy of their little inderground caves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.