1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Eco Earth Question

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by gracie, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

To those who use EE, how moist do you keep it? Does anyone use it dry?

2. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

You have to wet it to expand it, and once it is in the tank I think if you maintain the proper humidity levels it will not dry out completely. I can't imagine it will hold up tunnels very well when dry.

3. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Hi, Gracie!

Mary is right, it does not dry out completley when your humidity is at the proper levels. I find my top EE dries out sooner than the bottom, which stays moist, but not overly damp. Sometimes the hermies get a spot wet with water.

Living in Wisconsin, I had a hard time keeping the EE moist during the dry air we experience in my home here during the winter. It was suggested that I add about 1/2 cup of declor saltwater to the EE in the tank and mix it up to re-moisten it when it got too dry and that has worked well. Sometimes I added more water if needed. I use chopsticks to mix it up and aerate the EE, watching for any molting hermies. They do tunnel in the EE, but if it is dry, they cannot.
    cj [​IMG]

4. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks so much! I've got one crab buried down in a bowl of EE and I've just been keeping it misted so that it doesn't get too dry. Hope that's ok!
    I'm concerned about my ISO KC... I put a crab in there with total EE and I'm hoping it won't mold. I'm trying to leave the little guy alone.

5. CJ

Is the ISO EE really, really wet? The EE is
    damp in my tank, but not wet. When I expand it, I wring it out with my hands until almost all of the water is out of it, like I'd wring out a sponge. I expand the EE in saltwater as well. I do have a tiny bit of sand on the bottom of my tank that came from my original KK that is mixed in with the bottom of the substrate. That sand has not been mixed up into the top EE. I originally thought I'd have to make all new EE once a month to be sure it was clean, but was advised not to do that, but add gradually to what I had as needed. I scoop out the EE by their food dish as food gets dragged out by the hermies to keep the EE clean, and the EE does pack down after awhile. The hermies do a good job of mixing the substrate as well.

If you can mist the EE with declor saltwater,
    that has helped in my tank. No mold since I started using EE in December. I do not mist the hermies directly, just the tank.

6. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you!
    Yes, the EE was pretty wet when I put it in the ISO. My crab just molted, so as soon as I can, I'll get him into a drier environment. It was just my first stab at it and I think it was too wet. But, it sure does keep the humidity up! And he seemed to find it acceptable for his molt. I just don't want it to get moldy and I don't want to hurt him.
    This hermit crab learning curve is SCARY!

7. CJ

gracie, you're welcome!! I hope I helped a little!
    I know what you mean about the learning
    curve of hermies being scary!! Mine were
    given to me and we were told absolutely the
    WRONG things to do to care for them.
    I was so glad to have found HCRU for just
    that reason!
    Just the fact that you're on the site shows
    you'll be a great hermie mom!

Good luck with your molt! Right now, it's best to leave him be. That waiting is the hardest thing for me...I've been having successfull molts (even more molting going on than I thought there'd be [​IMG]) with 78-80% humidity. I'll be sending good molting thoughts your way.
    cj [​IMG]

8. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words and well-wishes! Keep us in your thoughts!

9. lilmicyar

lilmicyar Hi, I'm New Here!

CJ - Do you ever replace the EE? Or just keep adding to it? And I noticed you scoop out around the food bowl but I'ev been trying to figure out how to clean out the EE of hermie waste. The EE makes it really hard to see waste. I had thought about putting a layer of calci-sand on top of the EE so that it would be easier to see and clean. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.