1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Complaint - WAL MART

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Spiffy-Kat, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

I know there probably has been many WM complaints, but I'm just so mad that I need to explain this to people who care about hermit crabs.

Today some friends and I decided to go to Wal Mart and get some pictures developed, so while we were waiting, they wanted to go see the hermit crabs, since I never shut up about mine.

Before I could say "These living conditions are no good", that's exactly what they said, and they don't even own crabs. My point is that even a non-crabber knows the difference between good living conditions and bad, and my Wal Mart in paticular is bad.
    It has 3 mm of sand, 2 bowls [one with 4 pelets of food and the other water] and nothing else, there were about 12 pretty big crabs, all in this one little living area. Did I mention there's no hiding spots either?

Also, when I first got Sammy and Ace, I thought they were going to put be put in some sort of plastic container. Horrible, isn't it? But they used something much worse - an air filled plastic bag. Not only that, the guy dropped them in there and shook the bag. The whole way home I put my hand under them so maybe they could feel my heat through the plastic.

I have pictures of the Wal Mart tank which I might share later, it gets me so mad. I was thinking of trying to talk them into fixing up the tank and trying to provide better supplies/info for the people. I doubt they'd listen to me, but it's worth a try.

Is your WM as bad as mine? And should I try to talk some sense into these people?

2. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

That is bad. The Walmarts around here do not carry hermit crabs. They only carry fish and not many of them.

3. Spiffy-Kat

Wal Mart gets me soo mad.

Everything in tip-top shape EXCEPT the living animals. Pathetic.

4. Dinashadow

Dinashadow Hi, I'm New Here!

None of the wal-marts around here sell hermit crabs, but they do sell a lot of fish and they aren't taken very good care of.

5. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Same with me, thank goodness! I have 6 of them within a 20 mile radius of my neighborhood, and two of them don't even carry fish.

6. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

The Walmarts here don't carry hermits either. If I were you I would say something, for sure. It could even be that the ppl working there don't know any better, however, if a store is going to carry an animal they should have to know proper care conditions.

Even write them a letter, and copy it so they get like 20 of them. They need to know that what they are doing is wrong.

7. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

In Illinois they don't either.
    I kinda wish they did because,then it would me about 5,minutes to get there & get supplies,hermies,ect. Lol,oh well. They only carry one thing for hermit crabs and that's a little bottle of commercial food which I do NOT buy.

8. Spiffy-Kat

I think that's what I'll do, write a letter.

I'll post it here when I'm done, you guys can tell me if I missed something on it.

9. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Best of luck with the letter.

10. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

The Walmart in my area don't carry crabs, although they do carry Freshwater Fish. The thing is, Wal-mart doesn't care how well these animals are being cared for. As long as they can be kept alive for an X amount of time, then it's fine. With that being said, the less care they put into the animals, the less money it would cost wal-mart. They won't have to hire workers who can keep an eye and pay attention to the animals, therefore, they save money and still be able to sell. Wal-mart is great you say? It's only great to their customers on the outside, only because items there are cheap and convenient items available on their shelves. However, their workers are often paid very little and are not given a full 40 hours to be considered a fulltime worker. That also means they don't get any benefits. Next, the items they sell are often made by sweatshop workers in developing countries. You have to know that in order to sell your product in wal-mart, you need to "buy a shelf". Now, because Wal-mart is so popular because of their cheap prices, wal-mart makes auctions their selves off to the person who will sell their products for the CHEAPEST. As a result, this harms companies (big and small) and eventually their workforce and blah blah blah, economy gets ****ed up. I could go on forever but the point is, Wal-mart is bad and they're money oriented. They don't care about other people/animals, just as long as they profit from them. It's really sad to say. That's why I don't shop at wal-mart.

11. Spiffy-Kat

I agree Yadokari, they're all in it for the money, and it sucks.

But honestly, I don't think they'll lose 5000$ worth of profit if they stick a 5$ plant and a 7$ hermit hut in the tank. But what I'm most concened about is the crappy products they sell, and after reading what you said, I don't think they will change what they sell.

I'll work on the letter today maybe. Hopefully something good will come out of it.

12. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

I must say... whenever I've bought crabs from a pet store they either get put into a container or air-filled plastic bag.. I've never really thought of it being cruel.. I usually carry the bay with 2 hands as I walk back to the car so that they can see out...

13. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

If you're referring to Walmart's infamous "Crab in a cup":

Imagine being plucked from your environment and being kept in a cup for God knows how long without the food and water that you're used to. It's not like it's just a temporary carrier. These crabs are in these cups until either
    A) They are purchased.
    B) They die.

That, to me, is cruel.

14. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I think I'd have a heart attack if I came acorss crabs being kept in a cup:eek: My Wal Mart does not even carry fish anymore.:)

15. Spiffy-Kat

Ya same. I put my hands underneath them while they were in the bag to give them support and warmth.

@Chuck_Norris: KEEP them in a cup?! That's horrible! In my WM that's what they do with the beta fish.

16. Dinashadow

Dinashadow Hi, I'm New Here!

I agree with you Spiffy-Kat. I freak out when I see bad tank conditions and dead crabs in there, but stacked in a cup? I could only imagine how awful that must be. It makes you want to buy them all. I'm glad our wal-mart doesn't sell hermit crabs. The animals that are in there are worse enough off.

17. Spiffy-Kat

Well, I'm done my letter, and I hope it does some changes.
    I was thinking about kidnap..I mean "crabnapping" the crabs and holding them hostage until WM changes a bit, but I'll be too lazy. :3 lmao.

Topic - Hermit Crab Care Conditions

Dear Pet Aisle Manager / Wal-Mart manager :

Hello, my name is -------------, and l am a young student and hermit crab owner. Ever since your store has opened, I have been a consistent consumer and all I ask is for you to take this letter into consideration.

The other day I went into your store to purchase two hermit crabs, and was completely blown over by the conditions of the tank. I know your workers aren't paid to look after the hermit crabs and fish 24/7, but all I ask is for you to make a few adjustments to your display.

1# Add more sand..
    In the wild, hermit crabs, especially your specific breed, love to dig. It also helps them for their molting process, security, etc. There should be least two inches of sand, which won't cost a lot at all.

2# ''Hermit Hut"
    Taking these crabs from the wild, shipping them in trucks and being put in a new area is very stressful for a crab, and that's what the purpose of a hermit but is. Not only that, with new faces glaring into their home it could scare them, and would scare them more with no place to hide.

3# Climbing Objects / Plants
    Looking into your tank, I noticed your crabs were very tired and bored looking. Adding one of your 8$ plants in there could boost activity and make the crab feel more at home.

There is a lot more that should be added to a normal sized hermit tank, but your tank is too small to add more niceties.

Also, I have to add that your size of tank has WAY too many crabs. I know you probably can't change this, but if you can please do.

Another thing that really bugged me was how these crabs are being taken home. I would have expected a plastic container with holes or something, but a bag? Honestly, that's just wrong. My idea for a better ''carry home container'' would simply be a plastic container including holes in the lid and a bit of sand, not the ideal thing, but better than a bag.

And my final request is to provide your workers and customers with more information about these crabs, which I might add, can be easily found by doing a simple Google. Its bad enough not having the right products, but not providing correct or enough information is wrong as well. These animals need to be taken care of, even at home. If the customer knows nothing what so ever, the hermit crab will live a miserable life all because of lack of information.

To end this off, I would consider your tank conditions horrid, and the way these crabs are living temporarily is pretty much animal abuse. Just because these hermit crabs are no where near the size of a dog, doesn’t mean they have to be ignored without proper care. You have to understand that these crabs are being taken from their natural home to be sold in this store, and deserve a bit better.

Thank you for reading and taking this into consideration.

Sincerely

-------, age --

Please Contact me at the following:
    -------------
    ------------
    ------------

Anything else I should add to it/fix?
    [Btw, the ----- is just covering up personal information.]

18. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

You won't catch their attention unless you a better reason for them to actually make changes. By better reasons, I mean something that will help Wal-mart, not the hermit crabs.

For example, I would say...
    I strongly suggest adding a place for your hermit crabs to hide in. Half an empty coconut with a small carved opening on the side will do wonders. Adding this little "Hermie Hut" will allow the crabs to destress from their long journey to your store. This also benefits Wal-Mart stores because crabs will be much healthier, therefore, your stores will less likely have crabs die on you. Your customers, such as myself, will also feel much more confident and happy that the pets we buy from Wal-Mart were well cared for.

Also, note how I didn't use the term "Hermie Hut" right off the bat. I gave a small description first, before actually using the word. The term "Hermie Hut" is something only experienced/dedicated crab owners would know. Wal-mart workers, who don't know a single thing about hermit crabs, will certainly not know what you're talking about.

And... so on...

19. Spiffy-Kat

Thanks Yadokari, I'll add that now. :3

I forgot how greedy businesses are. <.<

20. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Crabs in cups? OMG that's cruel!!

Good letter - if it's ok I might adapt it and send it to a petstore round here that I know of...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.