1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 3 clawed hermie

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by Gaby, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaby

Gaby Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello all, just thought I would see what you all think about Blizzard. He is a ruggie that we got on 8-21-04, he is just a bit smaller than a baseball, but bigger than a golf ball, maybe pool ball size, he was missing a leg when we got him, but other than that he was perfect. He grew a great gel limb and molted and developed this deformity with his molt. He now has 2 claws on his feeder pincher. The feeder pincher is a harder pincher to get a good picture of (and my digital camera is ancient) but I am going to try and post pics of Blizzard so you can all see and give me your thoughts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay that was too easy. Anyway, sorry the pics aren't any better, but it truly is the best I can get. I would love to hear any comments on Blizzards new feeder pincher.

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG]
    awe, he is so cute...

3. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

So Cool! I wish we had a 3 clawed hermie.

4. banana

banana Hi, I'm New Here!

Same here Jenny. [​IMG]

Breanna [​IMG]

Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]WOW! Gaby, thats to cool and wierd as well. Seems like theres a few people now that have hermies with extra parts on there claws wonder if it has anything to do with what they are eating enviroment or bedding?? Awsome pics thanks tons for sharring, keep us posted on this hermie.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. lucco

lucco Hi, I'm New Here!

[​IMG]Hr is a really cool crab. i want one lol. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Gaby

Gaby Hi, I'm New Here!

Cudacrabby, do you know of any other hermies with 3 claws besides Dewey, and Blizzard? I am very interested of course.

8. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Hi Gaby, sorry should have made that more clearly, you and Sandra plus im sure i saw another one on another forum someplace, if i can refind it i will post it for yaz.. [​IMG] Has anyone been thinking it has anything to do with enviroment, foods or anything else?? Or could they have been simply born that way? Could it be that when there regenerating new limbs that the area is getting more tissue/cell growth than what it should be?

9. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Thanks For Sharing Gaby,

Hope you do not mind if i copy this to the library.

Regards,
    Cappa

10. Gaby

Gaby Hi, I'm New Here!

Cudacrabby, I would be very interested in seeing another one of these hermies, I am sure there are more if there are a couple here. I don't know why this happens. I imagine there must be some kind of genetic predisposition for this. I found it strange that the pincher was normal before, but is deformed now. He regenerated a limb on the other side of his body, the outer most leg on the big pincher side and with that molt the feeder pincher developed this secondary pincher. It is a very curious thing, IMO.

Cappa, I don't mind at all if you put this thread in the library. I definatly support these types of things being documented. Maybe someday we will know why this happens to hermies. Even though is doesn't seem to pose a problem for Blizzard, and it is interesting to look at, I still find it to be a deformity and that makes it disturbing to me.

11. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

Maybe it is from some kind of pollution in the area they are harvested from. Like the frogs with lots of extra legs? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.