1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

annoyed with food.

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by iheartxpbs, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iheartxpbs

iheartxpbs Hi, I'm New Here!

Until now, I had no idea about Ethoxyquin in the foods. When I noticed and read up a bit about it here, I decided to check my hermit crab foods, and apparently the two containers I have both contain it. I bought ZooMed and TetraFauna (which they were feeding in a great abundance to the entire stock of hermies, hence why i bought it). I do plan on going back and complaining, because not only did I basically waste like 10 dollars on it (I don't particuarlly mind spedning money for my hermit crabs, but yknow its still annoying), but I also put them in danger. Great. -_-
    But yeah, i saw ZooMed on a different post but I didn't know if anyone knew about the tetrafauna stuff. yupyup [​IMG]

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Generally people who keep fish don't worry about ethoxyquin -- I supposed it's because generally fish don't have super-long lifespans. Given that land hermit crabs have potential lifespans of decades, we need to be more careful. Having eaten food with ethoxyquin in it for a short period doesn't mean that your crab is doomed. But choosing ethoxyquin-free foods will make a difference in the long run, and it's good to not let your crabs get into the habit of eating the less-healthy foods. It's not just the ethoxyquin: many commercial foods are full of fillers like bone meal that have little or no nutritional value. But you'll probably just get blank looks when you complain at the store. I bet that the people at the store think land hermit crabs have lifespans of a couple of years tops, and have never even heard of ethoxyquin.

I am far from a food expert, and fed my hermit crabs mainly commercial foods for far too long. In the past six months I have been making changes, and now feed primarily fresh foods. The commercial foods that I use at all now are T-Rex Crab Island, Gardner's Hermit Crab food, and Julia Crab's food, sold on http://epicureanhermit.com. Needless to say, the Julia Crab food is by far the best, and I wish the Gardner's food had some sort of safety seal -- I ran out and haven't bothered to get more yet. These days I feed about 75 percent fresh foods, and I am seeing a huge difference in my crabs.

3. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

unfortunately my parents wont let me shop online, especially for hermit crab food which they probably belive can be found in the nearest pet store ( [​IMG] ) I really hope that somehow the inventor of julias crab food can somehow market it in stores!

4. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Just raid your refridgerator & pantry. You'd be surprised what you would find in there that your crabs will love. Try different things, as long as you give a variety of lipids, protiens and carbohydrates, your crabs will thrive on it. here is a good link that discribes how to make your own foods in better detail.

5. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

Iv'e been there, and they do have great info! next time my mom takes my to the supermarket I'll see what i can find!! [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

6. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I know what you mean about parents.. they just dont get it. my mom lets me do sum online shopping but i have to pay for it and with shipping it gets expensive. I now just raid my cupboards and when my mom buys seafood i ask for a bit on a plate for "hermie dinners" and i freeze the remains.

7. reader101

reader101 Banned

Hey! Be cool on parents...after all, you may be one some day!
    You can find tonight's dinner on your plate, depending on how you eat.
    Supper tonight was salad; roast beef, baked potatos (small with skin on), and baby carrots, before seasoning.
    One tiny piece of inside beef, 1/4 of potato and 1/2 baby carrot, sliced finely, presently has over 20 lined up at the feed dish. Salad ingred. will disappear fast into hidies for later on.
    They love variety as much as we do. Eating an apple? Bite off a piece and watch the fun. Long as you know what's safe and what's not, you can provide variety almost every day, as well as making your own every day food fresh, a couple week's worth at a time, with little extra expense.
    :D

8. reader101

reader101 Banned

P.S. I tried the link you posted, but the page isn't available. Any idea of where else to look, as it's a great idea. My hermies basic diet contains at least 15 ingredients which I can find and make easily in the grinder fresh for a week or two at a time. No preservatives, etc., & darned cheap!

9. crazy4crabs

[Homemade Dry Crab Food

Most commercial foods are "dry" powders or pellets. You can make something similar at home as well. The basic building block of a crustacean's diet are lipids, protiens, and carbohydrates.
    Protiens: For a dry food, unsalted ground nuts are probably the easist to procure, though ground dried fish would be even better, from the crab's perspective. Occasionally, you can find acceptable dried fish in the cat and dog treats section of the pet store.
    Lipids: Basically fats, foods that contain this include coconut (which can be found in dried, unsweetened form for your crabs) and oily seeds like the sunflower seed (unsalted).
    Carbohydrates: Grains such as flax seed, oats (not instant), and brown rice as well as fruits can be added for carbohydrates.
    If you use these basic building blocks, you should come up with a fairly complete crab food, especially if you suppliment it occasionally with fresh/thawed fruit or fresh/thawed fish.
    One thing you may wish to include directly in a dry food is a calcium suppliment. Especially when crabs are pre- or post- molt, calcium is incredibly important to their ability to harden their new exoskeleton. Plain powdered calcium carbonate is a good calcium source, as are powdered oyster shells and egg shells (though these may spoil quickly if the membrane isn't completely removed), and green leafy vegetables.
    Powdered or crushed seaweed of some sort is also beneficial to crabs because it is such an essential part of their diet in the wild. This can be obtained either at grocery stores (check near sushi ingredients) or they can be found in the fish section of aquarium or pet stores. One algae that is very benificial to crabs is spirulina, which is often sold as a suppliment at health food stores. Color enhancing fish flakes also often contain at least some spirulina, but most also contain less desireable ingredients like ethoxyquin as well.]

that is th information from the link that was given. hope it helps. also try going to the crabby link section of this site for more info.

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

I run an ebay store for hermit crab food items and crabitat items. Some of my customers do not have an ebay account, and what they do is look online and make a list of what they want to order. Then they email me the list and send me a check or money order.
    If you'd like to try that to get some of Julias foods just let me know.

11. reader101

reader101 Banned

:rolleyes:
    Hope this answers your question of today's date. Quite an educated response. Did you have amnesia?

12. crazy4crabs

Oh sorry about that. I read that yes but I was wondering about anything else anyone had heard about or tried that their crabs liked. I have that made up rite now but my crabs dont seem to like it.

13. reader101

reader101 Banned

Are you saying your previously posted list of required food elements is not to the hermies' liking?
    You not only read it, you posted it! How long have you tried any of those combinations with your hermies, as you mentioned you already have that made up? As you mentioned in a posting of today's date, they are not inclined to eat the same food constantly. Treats are a must. I use my home combo. as a daily basic with a special treat every day.

14. crazy4crabs

no, Im saying I have picky eaters. Im just trying to help those in need of some new recipes. I have tried differnt things with my crabs and they all seem to like a little bit of different things, for example half of my crabs like the dry food I made up and half dont. Im just trying to please everyone. Please dont try to discredit me because of this.

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

Im sorry but you're being rather snarky to crazy4crabs. These kinds of comments don't need to be said.

Maybe you should re-read the HCRU agreement again, and focus on this part.
    "
    You Are Responsible
    You are responsible and liable for all your activities while participating in the HermitCrabsRus.com Forum. Remember that you are responsible for anything you say or post.
    Once a post has been made live in the HermitCrabsRus.com Forum, unless it is brought to one of the moderators attention as being in breach of this user agreement, and is required to be edited or deleted, it is not a service we offer to remove users posts, therefore please consider your post carefully prior to posting.

You are responsible for any actions you may take based on advice or information you receive online. Use your own good judgment when evaluating information provided through any Forum post. Please remember that the information provided could be from people from 13 and over and any experience level.
    The HermitCrabsRus.com Forum is moderated daily, with any undesirable or inappropriate posts edited or deleted and kept on file. Any user(s) seen to be repeatedly in breach of this user agreement, will have their HermitCrabsRus.com registration cancelled without prior warning.
    HermitCrabsRus.com does not and cannot review all information posted to the Website by users and is not responsible for such information. However, HermitCrabsRus.com reserves the right to refuse to post and the right to remove any information, in whole or in part, for any reason whatsoever or for no reason. "

Since this is the second post I've seen you do to this member you are purposely being snarky. I'm rather disgusted by it as I'm assuming you're an adult and it's clearly shown that crazy4crabs is a minor.

16. crazy4crabs

Actually im 17.

17. reader101

reader101 Banned

If you're upset by my postings revealing some people as abusers of the site, please take it to Jason. I have clearly stated only facts, and regardless of what age, be it minor or more experienced, deceit is not acceptable nor ethical.
    Namecalling is also quite immature. As I said previously, if you take issue with me for pointing out FACTS, take it to pm.
    P.S. Interesting how you come to the aid of this party, when I'm sure they are capable of responding for themselves. Please note that, regardless of age, everyone is responsible for their own actions, and I somehow don't see that posting a question one day and then answering it themselves soon after is not a true representation of that particular user. It's a known fact that there are some users on the board with more than one identity; I am not one of them.
    End of public discussion. crazy4crab's attitude of "last time I looked, double-posting wasn't illegal" regarding the whole issue just doesn't cut it ethically.

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

What name calling? I did not call anyone a name. Snarky, if that's what you are referring to, is a TONE.
    Its funny you say to take it to a PM, yet you went and pubicly posted to her in a snarky tone. You need to take your own advice and take it to Jason if you have a problem or a PM to the member YOU have an issue with. Once I read the posts, I did send a PM to Jason. So it was brought to his attention.

Crazy4crabs, my appologies, Im not sure what state you are from and you might be an aduilt there. 17, here in cali, is still a minor. :)

Keep the drama off the crab boards.

19. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I too have read the threads and agree that politeness is a necessity on these boards. One might try to be a bit more articulate in their responses and keep being polite to all members in mind. You can correct someone without an accusation or coming off as rude.

20. crazy4crabs

thank you! some people on here are very nice and i trhank them for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.