1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An inexpensive online store.

Discussion in 'Crabby Links' started by cococrisp, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

The trouble with that site is that they don't tell you what the item is made of. Be careful what you buy from them.

The artificial rock for the side of the tank is really made of styrofoam. The hermies can dig into it with their legs and it falls apart - putting bits of styrofoam everywhere. Not good.
    They also sell critter keepers and 'cages' (OMG) for hermies as well as commercial food in a 'starter kit'.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I like this place too for tank supplies. I've ordered from them before and everything was as advertised and very fast and well packaged. I bought two medium sized "Groovy Jacuzzi's" for $6 each, along with some other things. Shipping was a tad more, but overall still cheaper than another site I almost ordered from. :)
    reptilesupply.com

4. cococrisp

Oh. Sorry. They even sell carry cases at petco and stuff. Well I guess I should put thumbs down. Never mind.

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I think that's a good point, you should at least make sure that you know what is in the item you are buying, even if you have to research it at another site but still shop at the cheaper place.

As for the Critter Keepers, I think most pet supply places are going to sell the carry cases. I think it would probably be better to just send them a letter telling them why the plastic carry cases are bad for hermies and suggest they stop carrying them (better yet, write the manufacturer and suggest they supply EE, two water dishes, water treatment bottles, etc).
    Otherwise if we stopped buying from suppliers that carried items we object to we would run out of places to buy our supplies. :)

A site that I have found to have reasonable shipping (I live in Alaska and some places try to charge me $30 usps for things under 2#!!) and decent prices is Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies and Pond Supplies by That Fish Place - That Pet Place
    I was amazed at how cheap the sun glo and moon glo bulbs are! (They are triple the price here in Alaska, no kidding!).

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Don't be sorry Cococrisp, you were sharing with everyone. :)
    As with everything, you have to look at it closely, which is a disadvantage when dealing with just about any online site. But the stores have such high mark-ups, that I have started more and more to order online. If I find something on a site that doesn't have much info on it and the price is really good, I'll look on some other sites to see if they have a better description. Then I'll go back to the cheaper site, and order from them (or not). I've also called the toll-free number before and asked questions.

Unfortunately just about everywhere you go you find the commercial food and the critter keepers and such. The general public doesn't know any better, and of course the stores are there to make a profit any way they can. Thankfully there are sites such as this that provide info on the proper care of the hermies, thereby allowing us to make informed decisions as to what we buy and what to steer clear of.

By the way...a big THANK YOU to Jason and Vicki and Hermez for this site and all the time and info they share with us! :):)

7. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Well, I honestly have to say that I like them. Their prices are reasonable, and they do have unique products... like my TropicAire. I have ordered from them quite a bit in the past. The shipping is always really fast, and as Mckenny stated, packaged very nicely. I guess it matters that you know what to look for.:) Remember, some people are not as crab-knowledgable as we. I'm sorry, WizKidzMom that you had a bad experience. :( I hope your hermies were not negatively affected by the starofoam. Rock on, little hermies... rock on!

8. Jason

Jason Moderator

Thanks for noticing. Vicki and Hermez do a wonderful job moderating the forum.

Jason

9. crabdaddy

crabdaddy Hi, I'm New Here!

And everyone on the forum.:)

10. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

I used to shop for Hermits there, you just have to be careful of what you buy.

After I heard about the "Hermit Crab Addiction Store" I started doing most of my shopping there.

11. cococrisp

I shop mostly at local pet stores because I hate paying for shipping. THey don't have any hermit crabs stuff that is actualy good but I buy from the reptile section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.