1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN IDEA...Please let me know what you think...

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by pineapplemama, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Okay so I either just had a brilliant brainstorm...or a moronic tropical depression...

Crabs love to climb right? Choya is a great thing for them 'cuz it is porous, plus they can eat it too...

So my idea was this...what about loofa? Loofa is a kind of squash...well actually classified as a gourd...but you get the idea...you can eat the young fruits, or wait and harvest it dry and use in the tub.

well the idea is simple...give them a loofa to climb on...or better yet hollow out the inside so they can crawl up and in it!

So....what do you think...good idea or bad idea? Are gourds okay? I know squash, zucchini and pumpkin are?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS....

I am dying to know if this is something that is safe (Don't panic, I know to make sure about the organic part) to offer my babies...I think it has potential...

Thanks Guys!

2. rottiegirl25

rottiegirl25 Hi, I'm New Here!

I have heard of others growing loofa to give to there hermies. I myself have not tried it. but what a cool idea about hollowing the middle for hiding. good thinking
    Stacey

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

It seems like it would be a good idea as long as the loofa hasn't been treated with any chemicals. I would suggest going over to http://epicureanhermit.com and posting the question there, since certainly if you put it in, the crabs will eat it. Kerie and some of the other members there should be able to give you a definitive answer.

4. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

I would have to say, if you grow your own so you know it isn't treated with anything, they'd probably love it.

5. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Well, that's where the idea sprung from...

I was looking at the Burpee catalog and debating what I was going to plant...

Ideas come from the oddest sources sometimes no?

-Crystal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.