1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazed!!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by purplehippo_dog, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplehippo_dog

purplehippo_dog Hi, I'm New Here!

II have a tank of 7 hermit crabs. Practically since the day i got them they buried themselves permanantly. This was prob for nearly a year now, All the tank conditions seemed fine,(the guages,etc)Two weekends ago, I decided i had been overly generous with the substrate, and removed a whole bucket full of earth! I checked all the crabs briefly as i had not really seen them properly since i brought them. The smallest crab looked quite strange, all pale and odd looking, so i separated him into another tank with a heat matt, incase he was trying to molt, or was sick. The next night i checked him, and as i turned him to look his legs flopped from side to side as i turned him! I thought he must be dead, and put him back in the tank, with the intention of moving him when the kids were not looking. I checked on him once again a little later, and as i did,he looked like he had died and shrivelled, and fell from his shell. I was sad and shocked, and put the shell back into the tank(it was upside down) I then forgot about it, and two days later, thought, I must find somewhere t bury this poor little hermit crab. However, as i picked the tank up, the shell got up and started moving!!!! I looked over to what i thought was the dead body, and then looked back at this shell, absolutely gobsmacked!! There was the sweetest little bright pink crab!!! All i can say is thank god for my lazyness in not throwing him out!!I am not sure though, how long i should leave him separated now? Can anyone help? Many thanks .

2. purplehippo_dog

purplehippo_dog Hi, I'm New Here!

really sorry i don't know how i managed to post this 3 times!!!!

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

I would rejoin heim with the others as soon as hes up and move around.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

This happened to us recently....my son came running in to me and said the crab's head was missing! :confused: Confused I went to investigate. As I picked him up, body parts started falling from the shell. I quickly realized that we had a surface molt on our hands and put him in ISO since he was on the surface and in immediate danger of being cannibalized! The newly molted little guy was tucked into his shell as far as he could go. He's starting to eat his exoskeleton and seems to be trooping right through this molt.
    I was pretty shocked when our first crab molted. My son thought he had a carcass when it was an exoskeleton. I didn't realize what had happened until I checked his shell. Good luck on future molts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.