1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazed!!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by purplehippo_dog, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplehippo_dog

purplehippo_dog Hi, I'm New Here!

II have a tank of 7 hermit crabs. Practically since the day i got them they buried themselves permanantly. This was prob for nearly a year now, All the tank conditions seemed fine,(the guages,etc)Two weekends ago, I decided i had been overly generous with the substrate, and removed a whole bucket full of earth! I checked all the crabs briefly as i had not really seen them properly since i brought them. The smallest crab looked quite strange, all pale and odd looking, so i separated him into another tank with a heat matt, incase he was trying to molt, or was sick. The next night i checked him, and as i turned him to look his legs flopped from side to side as i turned him! I thought he must be dead, and put him back in the tank, with the intention of moving him when the kids were not looking. I checked on him once again a little later, and as i did,he looked like he had died and shrivelled, and fell from his shell. I was sad and shocked, and put the shell back into the tank(it was upside down) I then forgot about it, and two days later, thought, I must find somewhere t bury this poor little hermit crab. However, as i picked the tank up, the shell got up and started moving!!!! I looked over to what i thought was the dead body, and then looked back at this shell, absolutely gobsmacked!! There was the sweetest little bright pink crab!!! All i can say is thank god for my lazyness in not throwing him out!!I am not sure though, how long i should leave him separated now? Can anyone help? Many thanks .

2. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Once he's acting like a normal crab, whatever a normal crab acts like, you can put him back. Seriously, his exo should be hard, he should be eating and drinking and running around a bit.

3. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Ooh - that just goes to show patience pays off with crabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.