1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Also new here and in need of advice!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Crabby_Pants, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabby_Pants

Crabby_Pants Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi, fellow peeps! Name's Crabby_Pants and I've been crabbin since July 2007. I just recently got my first couple of jumbo crabs and already had 2 small crabs. Petsmart says to separate them, other people say it's ok to keep them together--as long as they have enough space (I have a 29 gallon tank) and now I just read on internet to separate because cannibalism can occur. Now I'm just confused and worried.:confused: I have them together right now and nothing bad has happened but I'm afraid. Can someone with more experience and knowledge help me out please?

2. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Welcome!:) You will soon meet our moderators who can provide alot of useful information for you. But for now, I have a large crab and several small crabs living together and they are fine. My large 'Turtle'(that's his name) is best friends with my smallest crab Mini T. They sleep together. Mini T often takes a piggy back ride on Turtles back. It shouldn't be a problem unless there's aggression with a crab. Watch them and see how they do. Odds are they will get along great!

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

After the ISO period of your new crabs, you can safely add them to your main tank. You have to make sure your substrate is deep enough for the jumbos.
    If they are strawberries - make sure your salt water pool is deep enough for them.

Welcome !!!!

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

smaller crabs can be un-intentionally bothered by larger crabs as they dig or sit on them......as far as a bigger crab eating a smaller one I have only seen cannabalism in E's and one Rug- that being said if you have PP's (dont know what you have) I think its less likley- making sure their diet has lots of protein-cellulose etc is what you want... a nice balanced diet- that will make any crab less likely to be vicious.
    WELCOME :D

5. Crabby_Pants

Crabby_Pants Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks, guys! It's nice to meet you all and thanks for the advice. So far, all my little guys are doing great. Now, my sister is the one who brought hermit crabs home from South Padred Island, Tx and didn't care for them afterwards so I began to and I just couldn't let them die. Now I just absolutely love them!:D Please, correct me if I'm wrong b/c I'm not too familiar with "types" of hermits I have.
    My 2 jumbo are red--I'm assuming strawberries
    My 2 babies are kind of brownish, their claw looks a little purple but not sure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.