1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alphabet vegetable pasta and chicken soup mix

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by vckums, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

2. reader101

reader101 Banned

Re the pasta - for the last couple of nights, I have been offering my hermies natural angel-hair pasta, cooked in r.o. water with marine salt and a touch of olive oil. I'm beginning to wonder at their slurping-expertise, the way they have sucked it down! Without the additives, could this be similar to the pasta you are offering? If so, I am relieved at confirmation that the right pasta is good for them.
    P.S. They almost came to blows when I offered the rinds of grated fresh parmesan cheese! Also, instead of chicken soup mix, they had fresh broiled rainbow trout.
    Does this sound like a proper meal?

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

What kind of pasta is it? The ones I have in the alphabet soup is made from ( Organic Beet Powder, Organic Spinach Powder, and Organic Carrot Powder).

I've heard of people giving them pasta before and they've not said anything bad has happened. I tend to think that the hermit crabs are smart enough not to eat anything thats bad for them.

As for the trout thats perfect for them. I know crabs can have dairy now, so the parmesean seems ok then. :)

4. reader101

reader101 Banned

It's organic, fresh pasta from a health food store, no preservatives. Not necessarily the same ingredients, but I have fresh grape leaves, fresh grated baby carrots, etc. they devour frequently.
    As it turned out, there was not one single strand of evidence the next day to even know it was there!
    Last night was fresh corn - BIG mistake! There's corn from one end of the tank to the other. Needless to say, today is total tank tossing, as well as prep of iso's for 4 new hermies (2 adoptees) arriving today.
    I couldn't agree with you more about hermies knowing what's good and what's not. We tend to underestimate their intelligence.
    One small fact about cheese - and if you're (meaning anyone reading this) at all squeamish, don't read on.

Many aged cheeses (such as Parmesan) are done so by means of introducing mites into the cheese. After doing their thing (such as eating bacteria), they wind up in the rind to die. Thus, the rind, which many people tend to discard, is incredibly high in protein (as well as the tastiest); a bonus. Do you agree that any processed-type cheeses are a no-no? What other cheeses would you recommend?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Julia Crabs is the food Queen. I think she recommended hard cheeses. Let me find her post on it and I will post a link here.

I knew about the mites, I just like to forget that piece of info when eating cheese LOL

I've had people put the rinds into soups they are making, especially parmesian cheeses.

6. reader101

reader101 Banned

I think it was from Julia's research that I learned what I did about dairy and cheese (including what we'd rather not think about, but should know!), and I wholeheartedly appreciate her knowledge and challenges. I learned a great deal from her about feeding hermies a diet that is compatible and natural to their original habitat.
    As for parmesan cheese rind? If you don't grate your own fresh parmesan cheese, including the rind, you'll never know what you're missing! The perfect pasta topping...on top of a goldfish, for the hermies!
    :D

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Her site is amazing. She's a great person. I am very fortunate to be able to call her a true friend. We hang out and our kids play together often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.