1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost had a disaster

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by littlewolfpaw, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlewolfpaw

littlewolfpaw "Never Molted"

So I left for a night to go to my boy friends moms for christmas, my room mate also decided to leave for the night so he thinks, hey, Ill save some money by turning the heat down to forty five degrees after I had left and didnt tell me this...I came home the next day and it was freezing. The first thing I thought was the crabs, it was fifty in the tank even with the heat lamp on :whaaaat: Oh i started to just rip on him so bad. He said he thought that the lamp would heat them fine...then he admitted he didnt even think about them. Anyways, they were still alive, one already up and moved back into his home after I did the check for life procedure lol Ugh, what am i going to do with him haha :bat:

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

honest mistake & sometimes things happen we can't control, last year we had an ice storm that knocked our power out for over 9 hrs, our house got down in the low 40's! I had blankets thrown over the top of the tank, after the heat came on it it took at least 2 days before they were acting normal again. Just tell him they can't take the cold like that, they need heat & humidityMy husband doesn't touch the crabs or gives me any advice on them any more he asks if they will be o.k. cause he wanted to shut everything off on them to when we went to kansas in Oct, I said sure if you want to give me about 80$ to replace them, we did turn the furnace off cause the weather was nice when we left, left their uth on , but when we came back it was C-O-L-D! The temp in the tank had dropped and they all went under, they will bury to protect themselves.. thought I'd share a story with ya

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Good story. :flower: A few of days of radical temperature changes can make a big difference in the survival rate of the hermies. I know utility bills can get extremely high now, but as with any pet, their needs have to be taken into consideration too.

One thing that I use on my tank, in fact I keep it on all year long, is the silver emergency blanket that you can find in the camping section of Walmart for around $3. It's in a 3X5 (inches) package and is usually hanging up.
    They used them in the Space Program, and now they use them when they need immediate warmth in emergency situations. They also use them for those chilly nights when camping, or as an emergency warmth if stranded in your car.

I surround my tank on 3 sides and tape it to the tank. There are two in the package so you could put the other one around the front temporarily if it gets too cold. I fold mine over double which helps keep a bit more heat in. :flower:

4. littlewolfpaw

Im sure he knows now not to turn the heat off haha I made sure to give him an ear full. They were dug down when I came home today, but other then that still alive :yes2:

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm going to get one of those net time I get to walmart

6. littlewolfpaw

Couple bucks, why not. Thats a steal of a deal, especially if it keeps my new kids alive :shmama:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.